Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-11-2005, 06:31 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Canister Filter Linking

Was interested in ideas on linking two fluval 403 canister filters together as one.... Any Ideas

Old 06-11-2005, 10:06 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Regular

I don't see any advantage to linking them together other than one less intake and return.

First, by linking them, you completely lose the mechanical filtration of one canister. Second, i would be concerned about burning out the motors for on the filters. I am not sure of the affect of have 2 pumps pull from just one intake or the pushing of water from one filter into the pull of another. Also, should one filter pump burn out or stop working, it would probably burn out the second one also.

If you are looking to remove clutter in your tank, you might consider having both filters pull from a large intake (plumbed separately) and having the returns come together into one large return.

Again, I would not do it. You really don't gain anything from it and could very likely ruin 2 filters.

Not worth the risk.

2 clowns - 1 damsels - 1 royal gramma - 1 coral banded shrimp - 1 cleaner shimp - 1 emerald crabs - assortment of snails and hermits - sandsifting star - orange starfish - 1 hammer - 1 bubble - 1 toadstool - 1 small colony of zoos
SpEd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2005, 11:36 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpEd
I don't see any advantage to linking them together other than one less intake and return.

Not worth the risk.
I Agree.
Old 06-11-2005, 11:41 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Thanks for you opinion. How about setting one up for just bio and the other up for chemical filtration????? Or should I just set them both up as a standard canister setup????
Old 06-12-2005, 09:33 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Regular

I would leave them in their original configuration.

I have 2 Eheim canister filters for my 75 gallon. I have a mechanical filter in the first stage and everything else loaded up with as much biological media as possible with one exception. One on my Ehiems has a media basket with detachable chambers (4). I keep one chamber empty (other than a foam material) in the event I need to add any type of chemical filtration.

You should need very little, if any, chemical filtration in your tank other than maybe activated carbon.
2 clowns - 1 damsels - 1 royal gramma - 1 coral banded shrimp - 1 cleaner shimp - 1 emerald crabs - assortment of snails and hermits - sandsifting star - orange starfish - 1 hammer - 1 bubble - 1 toadstool - 1 small colony of zoos
SpEd is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
canister, canister filter, filter

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com