Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-27-2010, 05:21 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Canister Filter Maintenance Schedule?

Hey All... just a quick question... ive got an Eheim 2217 classic... how often should i be "cleaning" the canister out?

yes.. old tank water... just a rinse... just dont know how offten

Old 10-27-2010, 07:27 PM   #2
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

Every other week is what I do. I have two, so I alternate cleaning one each week. I've found that waiting longer only causes nitrates to rise big time

"What, exactly, is the internet? Basically it is a global network exchanging digitized data in such a way that any computer, anywhere, that is equipped with a device called a 'modem', can make a noise like a duck choking on a kazoo." - Dave Barry
mfdrookie516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 07:17 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Depends on bio-load. If your 'My Tanks' is up to date, yeah 2 weeks, maybe 3. I do 50% PWC weekly, then every 3 weeks I clean the canister, replace the 'final polish' pad, rinse the coarse foam, and every 9 weeks I replace the coarse foam. The I use Purigen and recharge about every 6 months or whenever it turns really dark (I have a planted tank too).
Floyd R Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 11:14 PM   #4

ANY filter should be cleaned at least once a month. A filter just traps debris for you, if you don't take it out of the system it will breakdown and cause nitrate problems, what many call a nitrate factory.
Old 10-29-2010, 05:55 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Yep every month seems reasonable. I just got a canister so will have to remember something like first water change of the month is filter cleaning time!
Old 10-29-2010, 10:01 AM   #6
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Hewitt View Post
Yep every month seems reasonable. I just got a canister so will have to remember something like first water change of the month is filter cleaning time!
What you should really remember is to monitor your nitrates. If I went a whole month without cleaning my filters on my 150g (which I have done in the past), my nitrates would be super high like 160+ppm (which they have been in the past).

"What, exactly, is the internet? Basically it is a global network exchanging digitized data in such a way that any computer, anywhere, that is equipped with a device called a 'modem', can make a noise like a duck choking on a kazoo." - Dave Barry
Old 10-29-2010, 10:07 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

ahh ok good to know....ive been going about 3 weeks-ish right now, doing weekly 40-50% PWC and every 3rd week (off cycle from filter cleaning) i do a partial gravel vac-ing ... i really should be keeping better notes on my water parameters and judge that way.

thanks all.

ps. yes floyd, "my tanks" is updated...
Old 11-02-2010, 11:12 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfdrookie516 View Post
What you should really remember is to monitor your nitrates. If I went a whole month without cleaning my filters on my 150g (which I have done in the past), my nitrates would be super high like 160+ppm (which they have been in the past).
Even with weekly PWCs?
Old 11-02-2010, 09:42 PM   #9

With ANY water change schedule and ANY stocking you need to check nitrate to ensure your water quality is high enough. That is the best measurement of water quality.
Old 11-02-2010, 09:53 PM   #10
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Hewitt View Post
Even with weekly PWCs?
yep, 50% weekly

Tags
canister, canister filter, filter, maintenance, schedule

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com