Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 01-24-2012, 10:02 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist
Canister filter noise level normal?

I have the Eheim Classic 2217 running now for about 24 hours so far so good!

The flow is quite strong in my 38 gallon but I played around with the spray bar and positioned it so that it is pushing across the waterline. Now the fish don't seem to mind as much (before the flow was pushing out/downwards at 45 degrees and the fish were getting stressed being pushed around in the tank).

This is my first canister filter so I have one question regarding the filter noise level. Is it normal to hear a constant low pitch hum?

It is by no means loud but is definitely audible (it sounds like an air pump if you know what I mean). I have tried to fully empty the canister and re-prime by filling the canister with water suctioned from the intake as per the instructions but it still sounds the same. I am pretty sure I primed it correctly as there are no visible bubbles coming out from the outtake.

Please if you have any experience with canisters or especially Eheims, I would appreciate your feedback on the expected noise levels.

ryukins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 10:09 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic
If this is a brand new canister, then you are probably still in the "break-in" period, where there will likely be more noise than standard. What happens with most filters is that they will slowly begin to develop a lubricating "slime" from the aquarium water that will coat the impeller assembly and cause the noise level to drop.

You may still hear some humming in a completely silent room - but as long as it doesn't sound like there's any grinding or snapping happening - it's normal.
"To know that we know what we know, and that we do not know what we do not know, that is true knowledge." -Confucius

Vircomore is offline   Reply With Quote

canister, canister filter, filter, level, noise

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com