Canister Filter Opinions???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rupret

Aquarium Advice Activist
I am planning on purchasing a new aquarium this month and would like your opinions on filter options. I am looking at a 125 gallon for freshwater fish and plant life. I am currently looking at two Fluval 404 filters with 340 gpm each and a total of 680 gpm. I have also looked at the Rena Filstars. I would like a filter with easy local replacement media and such; both Fluval and Filstar are available locally. I have read here on AA about some of you having clogging problems with the Fluvals. I currently have a 75 gallon with an under gravel filter and an Aquaclear HOB. I have not used a canister filter, so I do not have any personal experience to rely on. Also, I do not want any powerheads, due to previous usage caused major cooling problems here in the Arkansas summers. So, any input from you experienced canister filter folks?

Thanks, Rupret.

I can't recommend a canister filter highly enough. I switched from a Penguin BIO-Wheel 330 to a Filstar xP1 over the summer and kicked myself for not doing it sooner. The tank looked less cluttered and my plants grew better because there was more injected CO2 in the water. I would suggest you get two Filstars and put one on either end of your tank. I also recommend you get two Hydor ETH inline heaters because they won't take up any space in your tank.

I've never had fluval or rena, but from what I read the filstars are more dependable and easier to use.

Just got the filstar to put on one of my tanks, got to say i love it so far. very very easy to use, good media container, and really love the "debris collecting" bottom on it.

Back
Top Bottom