Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-20-2005, 09:44 AM   #1
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Devilishturtles
Canister filter preparation questions.

Hey guys. I've got a Magnum 220 Canister Filter that has been out of use for over a year, that I'm going to use to make a DIY Diatom Filter out of, to hopefully fix a green water issue. I'm getting ready to order the materials after this post. The reason I'm posting is because the previous owner of the filter (I got it used) had it filtering a Reef tank.

What precautions, if any, should I take with the filter? Should I get a whole new foam filter for it? Or can I just rinse it off to remove the salt? What about the tubing lines? I assume I should flush them out to remove the salt buildup, but will just regular freshwater work? I don't have much experience with canister filters, but are there any internal pieces I should wash or soak, to make sure the filter still runs in good condition?

Just trying to make sure I touch all the bases. I don't want to hurt the turtles I'm going to be using the filter on, and the fish afterwards.

Thanks alot.

Live in the Western MD/West Virginia/DC Metro Area?
Join our very active regional forum Here

Like the advice someone just gave you? Add to their reputation! Click on the balance icon underneath their username and let them know.
Devilishturtles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2005, 09:56 AM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

I have no experience with the Magnum but something in my mind tells me:

~Change out the pads - Salt has a way of just being stubborn.
~Hot water through the tubes and hoses...if you have one of those tube cleaners, it would work even better.
~Impeller - Just to be on the safe side
~All internal media compartments

HTH and good luck.

Old 11-20-2005, 04:24 PM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Devilishturtles
Thanks, Jchillin. That's about what I thought, just wanted to make sure. Will get scrubbing.

Live in the Western MD/West Virginia/DC Metro Area?
Join our very active regional forum Here

Like the advice someone just gave you? Add to their reputation! Click on the balance icon underneath their username and let them know.
Devilishturtles is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
canister, canister filter, filter

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com