Canister filter priming?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Douglas4701

Aquarium Advice Freak
If you do not have a self primer.... What model canister do you have and how long would you say it takes to prime your can?

I use an eheim classic. I just use the QD on the hoses, suck some water in, and make sure everything is full before restarting. Takes maybe 30 seconds?

To tell the truth if you have the right double taps on your filter pipes you should only need to prime the filter once

When cleaning you turn the filter off close the taps take the filter out clean it put the filter back in and open the taps again and it should fill when it's fully full turn the filter back on job done

Eheim do good double taps you need 2 x doubles one set for the drain pipe and one for the return pipe

Yeah, this is kind of what I do. There really isn't much required except opening and closing the valves.

I am sorry I am unfamiliar with the lingo.... What are double taps and qd?

A double tap is something that sits inline your filter pipes

To remove the filter you just close the tap and undo the two taps from each other

Attachments

• image-2365825185.jpg
    image-2365825185.jpg
    150.4 KB · Views: 78
Will this work on all canisters or only certain size poly pipe?

As long as you have smooth PVC pipes not the ribbed type like on a fx5 then yes they will work on any filter

The sizes I know eheim make are 12-16 mm and 16-22 mm but other brands are about

You just need to find out you hose size and get the double tap to match

I have bigger pipe because I have a bigger unit... It's the green clear pipe now but not the same size as the Eheim pipe. I am going to mess around with it. Can I just pull out the piece that plugs into the canister unit?

Back
Top Bottom