Canister Filter Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

poppab02

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I was browsing through walmart today and saw that they have all the pool stuff out and as I was looking I saw a canister pool filter that cycles 500 gph. My question is this, what is the difference between these pool filters and a fish tank canister filter? What do you need to do if you want to convert it into a fish tank filter? Is it possible?

From what i saw from my lfs, its same with bigger media capacity n pump.

I'm not sure what filter it is you're talking about. If you could tell us the name of it we could probably help you better.

well imo that filter is just a pump with a filter pad nothing else just that, i suppose you could use it on a tank but i would worry, abotu proper filtration

Other than probably being loud I don't see why you couldn't use it.

And I'm sure you can even change out the media and stuff since obviously eventually that filter would need to be changed too.

-brent

Hmm hard to say but from the looks of it, I don't see where you could add different kinds of media like carbon or ceramic rings like you can with an aquarium canister. Those pool filters are used more like micron filters i think, sort of like the marineland Magnums.

Those are nothing but mechanical filters that filter junk out of the water so you can swim around in clear water. They also sell DE powder for them as well, so works like a diatom filter. For the most part, you would find those filters to be loud, and poorly made. I would not expect the reliability to hold up at all, as the pumps are designed with low cost in mind and little more. They would suck for aquarium use, since they can not hold bio media, or chemical media for that matter.

I dont think I would want to use a pool filter on a tank.
As already stated it would be loud , no Bio filtration, no chemical filtration and a magnum will do the same a far as a diatom filter goes.
JMO

Back
Top Bottom