Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-29-2005, 05:55 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Canister filter questions

Ok-I have an emperor 280 HOB now that I use for GAC and a Poly filter. I am finally FED UP w/ the micro-bubbles it produces. I removed the bio-wheel so the spray bar that turns it now just produces tons of bubbles no matter what I try.
So, I have no experience w/ canister filters. I'm looking at the Eheim Ecco series. Can you run GAC, PO4 reducers, etc. in them or only precut "pads"? Do canister filters put out micro-bubbles? Thanks in advance.

Old 10-29-2005, 06:09 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT79
I'm looking at the Eheim Ecco series
BTW If anyone has a better choice or a better bargain feel free to post it. My tank is a 55 gal.

Old 10-29-2005, 06:12 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to greenmaji
Have you considered taking the bio-wheel out of the loop and using a submerged spraybar? I would think that would solve the miro-bubble problem.. HTH
Old 10-29-2005, 06:29 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Have you considered taking the bio-wheel out of the loop and using a submerged spraybar?
I use the HOB filter strictly for a place for GAC, PO4 reducers etc(I don't have a sump on my tank). The spray bar is part of the filter housing so I can't do anything w/ it.
Old 10-29-2005, 06:39 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to greenmaji
My bad MT79.. they must have changed the design since Ive seen one..
you used to be able to take the biowheel attachment off and plumb your own return (it had a flexable hose conecting the biowheel and it had the spraybar) sounds like they have changed it from what your saying... maybe I can find a pic and see what your talking about..
Old 10-29-2005, 08:20 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenmaji
it had a flexable hose conecting the biowheel and it had the spraybar
It's molded plastic now. Maybe I could DIY "jerry rig" it some how but I'd just like to scrap it at this point. You did give me an idea though GMaji...w/ some rubber hose and a clamp I may be able to remove the spray bar and just have the hose dumping the water into the back of the filter. That should cause far less agitation...hmmm

Basically all I'm asking is do canister filters generally accept different kinds of media like GAC as opposed to the precut carbon pads/discs I see for sale. And also, generally, do canister filters put out enough micro-bubbles to be a nuisance?
I have never saw a canister filter in person and I can't find any pics of the internal area where the media is placed.
Old 10-29-2005, 10:38 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

I don't know about the Eheim filters but I have a Rena Filstar XP3 and it produces a TON of bubbles. In doing some research I found that if there is too much flow restriction it may cause cavitation. So, I drilled the output nozzle larger and took out all media but the foam pads (which it came with). Still a ton of bubbles.
I sent Aquarium Pharmaceuticals (the makers of the Rena) an email last week but have yet to hear from them.
As for your other question, yes the rena will accept other types of media. The XP3 has 3 "baskets" for this purpose. But again, if I had it to do over again I would not get this brand.
Old 10-29-2005, 11:10 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Activist

I run an Eheim 2026 on my 55 gal SW setup...No bubbles after the filter runs for 30 seconds. I run the precut Eheim carbon pads and some seachem ammonia granular and reef rubble...
HTH
Old 10-29-2005, 11:10 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Activist

I run an Eheim 2026 on my 55 gal SW setup...No bubbles after the filter runs for 30 seconds. I run the precut Eheim carbon pads and some seachem ammonia granular and reef rubble...
HTH
Old 10-29-2005, 11:17 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Activist

HTH

Tags
canister, canister filter, filter

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com