Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-30-2008, 05:21 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Canister Filter Recommendation

I HAVE A 75 GAL. FRESH WATER TANK AND CURRENTLY USING FLUVAL 304 CANISTER FILTER. I'M CONSIDERING GOING WITH A CANISTER FILTER WITH UV STERILIZER BUILT IN, ANY RECOMMENDATIONS ON WHICH IS THE BEST?

Old 04-30-2008, 05:41 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHRIS3214 View Post
I HAVE A 75 GAL. FRESH WATER TANK AND CURRENTLY USING FLUVAL 304 CANISTER FILTER. I'M CONSIDERING GOING WITH A CANISTER FILTER WITH UV STERILIZER BUILT IN, ANY RECOMMENDATIONS ON WHICH IS THE BEST?
Chris,
First, a 304 is a bit small for a 75; I have a pair of Fluval 405's on my 75. Your 304 is a generation behind in Fluvals.
May I ask why you need a UV sterilizer? No real need to purchase a canister equipped with one, as there are many, many kinds of UV units that can be easily plumbed inline with your present filter.
I would suggest, however, that you add an additional canister. Using a pair of filters is helpful in many ways, the most obvious is the ability to stage filter cleaning; one one month, the other the next, which helps with bacterial, and thus aquarium, stability.
If you are bent on having a canister with built-in UV, I believe Eheim has a model with that feature.

Dave

Old 05-01-2008, 01:41 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Dave,
My Mistake I Have A Fluval 305 Not A 304, Besides I Was Using A Coralife Turbo-twist Uv Inline With My Fluval But Kept Having Plumbing Problems, Water Leakeage With The Hosing That Fluval Supplied. I Did At One Time Have Extremely Green Water Until I Purchased The Turbo-twist. Do You Have Better Plumbing Suggestions So That I Can Continue Using The Turbo Twist. I Just Assumed It Would Be Easier And Less Plumbing Hassles To Purchase A Canister With A Built In Uv. I Am Open To Any Suggestions?
Old 05-01-2008, 01:51 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I guess the question remains - Why do you need a UV sterilizer? Most people on this site ever use them as one-time quick fixes for serious problems, and never use them again. What would be the benefit of running it in this manner?
Old 05-01-2008, 03:42 PM   #5
Sliced Bread

Agreed, I don't see any reason for you to need one.
Old 05-01-2008, 03:51 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to pitt420dude
Is that the only filter on your 75 gal? If so it's underfiltered and your problems may stem not from not having a UV, but rather from not having enough filtration.

On my 55 gal I have a 304 and love it, but I also have a Marineland H.O.T. Magnum, which is rated for a 50 gal tank in itself.

LOOK! A NEW LEAF!!!!!
pitt420dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 12:22 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitt420dude View Post
Is that the only filter on your 75 gal? If so it's underfiltered and your problems may stem not from not having a UV, but rather from not having enough filtration.

On my 55 gal I have a 304 and love it, but I also have a Marineland H.O.T. Magnum, which is rated for a 50 gal tank in itself.
Second that, I have a HOT Magnum and a Marineland C260 (I beleive) as well as a HUMONGOUS sponge filter on my 55. I have no water quality issues... I also have a large quantity of Java Fern and a nice big Cryptocorine in there...

Tags
canister, canister filter, filter

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com