Canister Filter Recommendation

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CHRIS3214

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I HAVE A 75 GAL. FRESH WATER TANK AND CURRENTLY USING FLUVAL 304 CANISTER FILTER. I'M CONSIDERING GOING WITH A CANISTER FILTER WITH UV STERILIZER BUILT IN, ANY RECOMMENDATIONS ON WHICH IS THE BEST?:confused:

I HAVE A 75 GAL. FRESH WATER TANK AND CURRENTLY USING FLUVAL 304 CANISTER FILTER. I'M CONSIDERING GOING WITH A CANISTER FILTER WITH UV STERILIZER BUILT IN, ANY RECOMMENDATIONS ON WHICH IS THE BEST?:confused:

Chris,
First, a 304 is a bit small for a 75; I have a pair of Fluval 405's on my 75. Your 304 is a generation behind in Fluvals.
May I ask why you need a UV sterilizer? No real need to purchase a canister equipped with one, as there are many, many kinds of UV units that can be easily plumbed inline with your present filter.
I would suggest, however, that you add an additional canister. Using a pair of filters is helpful in many ways, the most obvious is the ability to stage filter cleaning; one one month, the other the next, which helps with bacterial, and thus aquarium, stability.
If you are bent on having a canister with built-in UV, I believe Eheim has a model with that feature.

Dave

Dave,
My Mistake I Have A Fluval 305 Not A 304, Besides I Was Using A Coralife Turbo-twist Uv Inline With My Fluval But Kept Having Plumbing Problems, Water Leakeage With The Hosing That Fluval Supplied. I Did At One Time Have Extremely Green Water Until I Purchased The Turbo-twist. Do You Have Better Plumbing Suggestions So That I Can Continue Using The Turbo Twist. I Just Assumed It Would Be Easier And Less Plumbing Hassles To Purchase A Canister With A Built In Uv. I Am Open To Any Suggestions?

I guess the question remains - Why do you need a UV sterilizer? Most people on this site ever use them as one-time quick fixes for serious problems, and never use them again. What would be the benefit of running it in this manner?

Is that the only filter on your 75 gal? If so it's underfiltered and your problems may stem not from not having a UV, but rather from not having enough filtration.

On my 55 gal I have a 304 and love it, but I also have a Marineland H.O.T. Magnum, which is rated for a 50 gal tank in itself.

Is that the only filter on your 75 gal? If so it's underfiltered and your problems may stem not from not having a UV, but rather from not having enough filtration.

On my 55 gal I have a 304 and love it, but I also have a Marineland H.O.T. Magnum, which is rated for a 50 gal tank in itself.

Second that, I have a HOT Magnum and a Marineland C260 (I beleive) as well as a HUMONGOUS sponge filter on my 55. I have no water quality issues... I also have a large quantity of Java Fern and a nice big Cryptocorine in there...

Back
Top Bottom