Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 01-01-2007, 12:36 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Newbie
The water is pumped from the bottom of the canister, it filters down there from the top.

But what purpose do bio noodles serve?

The salesman told me that with my 90 gallon tank, with a few ciclids and may a bottom sucker, with this filter rated for as much as a 250 gallon tank. All I would need are the 4 foam filters and a bag of activated carbon at the top. Does this sound reasonable? As somebody with zero experience I have no idea.

I've started reading on the topic but find that most of the text I've found is way more technical than I care to learn. I want to do it properly of course, but I don't believe studying volumns of books on the topic is necessary. Especially with a site like this one being available. I stumbled across this site by way of a Yahoo serch, GREAT site. cls

ChiefBigFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007, 12:43 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Freak
the bio noodles are for bacteria to grow on.I would put the bottom two as foam, and the top two as carbon and bio noodles

75 Gallon
Rena FilStar xP3, Aquarium Systems Visi-Therm 200W (2), Coralife 48" Aqualight 260W 6700K
10 Gallon Hexagon
Hagen AquaClear 30, Visi-Therm Deluxe 50, DIY CF 20W 6500K CF, Hagen Natural CO2 System :: Bloodfin Tetra (1), Red-eye Tetra (3), Black Skirt Tetra (3), Harlequin Rasbora (6), Platy (1), Otocinclus Catfish (1) :: Rotala Indica, Hygrophila Difformis (Wisteria), Cabomba Carolinia
tropicalfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007, 01:53 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Freak
I would eliminate the carbon and use the bio noodles. Generally, a cannister filter does not need the cleaning that an HOB filter requires. Carbon lasts a short period of time, shorter than the cannister filter cleaning requirement. Therefore the carbon will have no use for a length of time until the next cleaning. Secondly, carbon is not good to use if you maintain live plants. The foam beneath the bio noodles promotes the growth of good bacteria to grow on the noodles. As I stated earlier, that was the manufacturers order of the media placement in the cannister.
piranha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 01:49 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict
A little late here, but shouldn't the first thing the water hits be a filter pad, not carbon directly? I mean, I would imagine you want to strain out as many big particles as you can or your carbon will get plugged up fast.
Sicklid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 11:32 AM   #15
AA Team Emeritus
Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
In my fluvial, the carbon is the last thing the water hits. I believe the sponges (assuming they are in that particular filter) would filter out the big stuff. I have, since, removed both the sponges and carbon.

Age is relative, you are only as old as you act....of course, this works in reverse....

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Acronym List

roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote

canister, canister filter, filter, set up

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com