Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-29-2004, 11:48 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Send a message via AIM to ttopmustanggt88 Send a message via MSN to ttopmustanggt88 Send a message via Yahoo to ttopmustanggt88
canister filter users

what canister do you use and what media do you have in the trays.

im personally using a filstar xp2 and love it. i have 4 pieces of foam in lower tray. then the next one has ceramic rings. then bag of charcoal then a white fine particle screen. does anyone have any suggestions on how to polish water other than this small white foam pad?? thanks for any help.

Old 08-29-2004, 12:20 PM   #2

Welcome to AA ttop

I'm a big fan of the Filstar series myself. Reasonably priced, easy to clean, quiet, reliable and lots of capacity for various media options.

Also ttop, The small white pad is for catching small particles of waste. The charcoil is what polish's water. Charcoil generally only holds it's polishing ability for a week. I personally don't even bother with charcoil in any of my tanks.

If you really want sparkling water. Check into getting a diatom filter. Unless your keeping sensitive fish like Discus etc.... IMO you might be wasting money purchasing a diatom. How big a tank and what type set up?

Routine WC's/cleaning and feeding correctly (not to much) with the help of your XP2 should be more than enough to maintain nice, clean water. HTH
Old 08-29-2004, 12:22 PM   #3

Welcome to AA ttop

I'm a big fan of the Filstar series myself. Reasonably priced, easy to clean, quiet, reliable and lots of capacity for various media options.

Also ttop, The small white pad is for catching small particles of waste. The charcoil is what polish's water. Charcoil generally only holds it's polishing ability for a week. I personally don't even bother with charcoil in any of my tanks.

If you really want sparkling water. Check into getting a diatom filter. Unless your keeping sensitive fish like Discus etc.... IMO you might be wasting money purchasing a diatom. How big a tank and what type set up?

Routine WC's/cleaning and feeding correctly (not to much) with the help of your XP2 should be more than enough to maintain nice, clean water. HTH
Old 08-29-2004, 12:26 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

Welcome to AA! (i know, i know)

I have no experience in filter canisters but I may get one later. Is it worth it? I'm working with an airpump powered undergravel system and a fluval 2 - should I remove the fluval and get a canister or will I be fine?
One south american pleco
17 gal FW tropical -
1 south american pleco
1 Bristlenose pleco
1 female betta
1 khuli loach 1 black khuli
3 zebra danios
3 flame tetras
2 black neons
1 glowlight (LFS mistake!)
LIVE FAST >>> SWIM HARD.
ploughking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2004, 12:53 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to shawmutt
I use an xp1, and I love it. All I use is the coarse foam, not so coarse foam, and the fine filter, it keeps my water clean just fine. What particular problem are you having with your water? Is it cloudy or something?
Old 08-29-2004, 12:57 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawmutt
What particular problem are you having with your water? Is it cloudy or something?
I don't really have a problem, I'm just deciding which would be best for the axolotl. BTW I'm postive on that now - it isn't 'pondering' anymore.
One south american pleco
17 gal FW tropical -
1 south american pleco
1 Bristlenose pleco
1 female betta
3 zebra danios
3 flame tetras
2 black neons
LIVE FAST >>> SWIM HARD.
Old 08-29-2004, 01:01 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

I use a Fluval 303..so far i love it...water is clear..it's very quiet and fairly easy to service.
Old 08-29-2004, 01:01 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

I use a Fluval 303..so far i love it...water is clear..it's very quiet and fairly easy to service.
Old 08-29-2004, 01:02 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket2001
I had one of those in my old goldfish tank - it was overpowerful and most blowing the fish around. Poor things. I removed it again after a little while.
One south american pleco
17 gal FW tropical -
1 south american pleco
1 Bristlenose pleco
1 female betta
3 zebra danios
3 flame tetras
2 black neons
LIVE FAST >>> SWIM HARD.
Old 08-29-2004, 01:07 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

it is powerful..outflow is through a spray bar and I set it below the water line and tilt it up to agitate the surface. Also I control the flow from the outflow valve. There is a current in the tank but the fish seem to like it

Tags
canister, canister filter, filter

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com