Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-08-2004, 11:22 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I suppose I should have lectured him/her on the poor grammar usage and run-on sentence?
No, the grammar police job belongs to An t-iasg and Bearfan is the spelling police. Don't worry, we have our bases covered

Okay, back to the true topic at hand: UGFs

The majority of members here do not like them--it's that simple. I've even seen a post from a member that had one and liked it--unitl they had to pull the entire tank apart to clean the thing. The UGF did not go back in the tank.

I am still unclear as to what "oversaturating" the gravel? Please explain that and I will tell you how to keep your gravel from "oversaturating."

What fish do you plan on keeping with the fake plants?

Menagerie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2004, 04:08 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to oscarbreeder
HEY!!!!!!!

Are you here for English class or help with your fish?
I dont care if you take my advice or not!
You want to kill fish thats up to you, but you just got your last help from me.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v328/kyman_33/sig.jpg
oscarbreeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2004, 05:06 PM   #13

When I say "oversaturate" I am talking about with wastes. I just thought it might be easier to vacuum the gravel if there is a reverse current coming out of the gravel instead of being sucked in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oscarbreeder
you just got your last help from me.
Waaa, like your "help" was of any use.
Old 10-09-2004, 07:16 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Enough bickering you two!!

The waste will get stuck under the UGF. I strongly recommend not using the UGF and using a gravel vacuum. The vacuums work great to get rid of the waste and excess food.

Menagerie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2004, 08:13 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menagerie
The waste will get stuck under the UGF. I strongly recommend not using the UGF and using a gravel vacuum. The vacuums work great to get rid of the waste and excess food.
What waste would you be speaking of if I were to hook the outflow of my canister filter to the UGF's pipes? Does waste still get under there?
Old 10-09-2004, 10:58 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

UGF's may not be the best filters out there , but they are not useless . They provide excellant biological filtration if maintained . The maintenance only involves the thorough churning/vacuming of the gravel every 4-5 weeks , which is something most people do anyways . As for the gunk under the plates , it is not toxic to your fish . By the time it gets there , the bacteria in the gravel have broken it down into mostly harmless waste . If you are that concerned about it , simply push the gravel away from the uptake tubes , remove the tubes , & stick a thin hose in it to vacumn the gunk from under the plates .

UGF's are not good for live plants unless you have java ferns , anubius , ect tied to rocks & driftwood . I also wouldn't use a UGF in a tank over 30 gallons . UGF's are also not good for cichlids , which are messy & like to dig in the gravel thereby rendering the UGF useless . Nor are they recommended for large messy fish like plecos , tinfoilbarbs , & oscars . They are perfectly fine for smaller fish like tetras , danios , rasboras , the smaller barbs , platys , ottos , cories , guppies , & for raising fry .

Like I've said before , I've had absolutely no problems with UGF's with smaller fish . I've had the so called "toxic gunk" come up into a tank with fry in it & suffered no ill effects . So UGF's aren't the best choice out there , but they certainly aren't the fishkillers that some of you out there portray them as . Have any of you actually used UGF's for more than 2 years ? I say 2 years because it probably takes that long for most people to get a good grounding in this hobby . Any deaths/problems during this period can probably be attributed to newbie mistakes , not to UGF's .

Just to be clear , if you are new to this hobby , or are setting up a new tank , buy a cannister or power filter , not a UGF . But UGF's are not as bad as some of you seem to believe they are .
Old 10-09-2004, 11:10 PM   #17
AA Team Emeritus

I would not bother with a UGF, reverse flow or otherwise, because it is just another thing to deal with - I think you could get yourself a Rena Filstar XP3 and maybe supplement that with an AC or an Emperor (biowheels can be handy, and I like to overfiltrate). If you plan on keeping fake plants then keep your gravel bed shallow and you won't have a problem with detritus accumulating.

Your original question is a good one, though, and maybe 2 smallish canisters would be a good choice, as I have not thought about doing that. For your size tank you could certainly do that, maybe 2 XP2's and that's it. A single XP3 would work all by its lonesome if you did not have a terribly heavy fish load.
TankGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2004, 12:20 AM   #18

NOW I am getting some great, and constructive, advice! A pity a few had to try to spoil this place for me right off the bat.

Today I purchased a single Fluval 404 and figure I will just plan on using that for all my filtration.
Old 10-10-2004, 08:13 AM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

I'm beginning to find this thread very interesting , and for a number of reasons.

Presence, I think I understand what you're trying to do by using a cannister in conjunction with a UGF. In either standard or reverse flow, you would have the water column moving through the gravel bed. The thinking being that you'll keep the gravel clean if that's what you mean by oversaturating. The concept is logical but here's why it won't work.

1. Connecting the cannister intake to the riser tube - A UGF is designed to have the gravel do the mechinacal filtration. It's more or less effective depending on gravel size. All of the detritus collects and remains under the filter plate where it remains inert and harmless for the most part. No cannister is designed to deal with the amount of waste you'd be putting into it. It would quickly become clogged and you'd be dealing with much more maintenance on the cannister than you'd want.

2. Connecting the cannister outflow to the riser tube - All of this matter that's designed to remain under the filter plate will be forced back up through the gravel. Your tank will more than likely become a cloudy nightmare.

Canuckfan is correct. UGFs are not the deathtrap of the aquarium world some make it out to be. In fact, at one time it was considered an awesome technology. But with the way some HOBs and cannisters are designed today, I can't think of a good reason to use a UGF.

Finally, if you and oscarbreeder read this - Part of the problem with the written word is that you can't hear someones tone of voice or see their expression. The manner in which someone writes is open to interpretation, and that can easily be misinterpreted. Oscarbreeder has been on this forum for a long time and is a valuable contributer. I'd like you to appreciate how time consuming it is to give a detailed explaination to many of the questions asked here. Noone is paid to be here and we do it because we enjoy it and want to help others. Sometimes it's just easier to give brief answers to complex questions.

Now it's JMO but your response to him had a rather sarcastic tone. That may be just the way you speak, I really don't know. I think you'd have been better served (if you didn't like his answer), to ask him simply to explain it further. I'm sure it would have been done without the "flaming".
Old 10-10-2004, 12:45 PM   #20

Good purchase on the Fluval, Presence. I think you'll be satisfied with your decision.

We may now resume back to our happy little community. Don't make me get my belt out. Daddy Troll has spoken. LOL......(just trying to lighten up the atmoshpere).

Bring on the grammer and spelling police. I don't need no stinckin speEl check

Tags
canister, canister filter, filter, ich

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com