Canister Filter White Flakes? Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

StevesPrettyCool

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi all, I'm new to the forum and fairly new to the hobby at around 10 months.
I'm setting up a new 55 gallon tank and planning to turn it into an african cichlid tank. I have set up the tank with sand and bought some rocks from a local landscaping place for 25 cent a pound. Got an Odyssea CFS500 canister filter new for cheap off ebay after doing a little research on it and hooked it up. Now its been running strong with no problems for about 4 days now, with no fish, not cycled yet, and just rocks and sand in it. When i woke up this morning there were paper thin white flakes floating in the tank and occasionally shooting out the output of the filter. when i messed with the waterflow more and more came out. The flakes range in size from pin-dot small to the size of a hearty piece of fish food flake. The hoses were too short to reach the tank from my cabinet so i bought food and beverage grade braided flexible tubing recommended by the petstore at lowes. besides that its hooked up normal and seems to be working great until now.
I was wondering if this is common? Is there anything i can do to stop this from happening? any tips would help. sorry for the length but i know from other forums to always include as much facts as possible.
Thanks everyone, Steve

ouch... 43 views and no replies makes me sad :(

i read in some posts i found through google from a couple forums that people say canister filters sometimes cause white biofilm flakes? has anyone ever encountered this? my only worry is that these people have established tanks with fish so biological build up isnt too far fetched, but mine been running for less than a week with only sand and rocks. any ideas?

I know that I get small white flakes with my established filter. It comes from the buildup in the hoses. You said you replaced the hoses so I dont think that is it. Possibly something in the canister? Sorry to not be more help.

Numerous views without a reply just means people looked but had no answer for you. It doesnt mean they didnt care or anything like that. They just didnt have an answer.

This is the first I have heard of this so I looked it up online. This could be residue from a bacterial bloom. I dont understand it all myself but here is a link to check out. I hope it helps.

Bacterial Blooms Explained - Tropical Fish Forums

Good luck!

:bb:

Back
Top Bottom