Canister filters

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

zenkatydid

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hi! :)

I have an Eheim 2215 canister on my 50gal tank and am thinking of upgrading to a 2217. I am not overstocked, but my fish are only going to get bigger and messier and I'd rather overfiltrate sooner than have problems later. I am planning on getting a 50cm cube (33gal) soon and move the 2215 over to that.

I have two questions for you. First, where is the cheapest place you know to buy a Eheim 2217 online? I live in Australia, but will be shipping to a US address.

Second, is there a filter equivalent to the Eheim 2217 in quality, capacity and ease-of-maintenance that you would recommend over the Eheim? Can you also give me an online store to buy it cheap?

Thanks for your help!

Anyone? Or is this an inappropriate question for the forum? If you feel uncomfortable giving me recommendations for shops, can someone at least help me with brand recommendations?

The XP3 might be a lot cheaper. It might not be quite as good (I don't run one myself) but many people swear by them for ease of use.

You may also try Petsolutions.com They often have better prices than anyone I've found. Drs. Foster and Smith is my second choice. Both ship quickly and have good deals on a regular basis.

Eheims are the big dogs when it comes to filters (meaning they are the top brand). If you were looking for something cheaper, but close in quality, the Renas are excellent. I know Plecoperson has recently had issues with hers, but I have 3 Renas (2 XP3s and an XP2) and I haven't had any issues so far. Marineland has new canister filters and I've talked with someone who works at a LFS and they said everyone seems happy with their purchase of Marineland canisters. I think they are comparable to Renas. My next canister will most likely be a Marineland. :)

I second the Drs F&S, Big Als, and Petsolutions recommendations. I'd compare prices when you decide on a filter and order from the cheapest. :D

Personally, I'd go with a Fluval over a Marineland any day. I just don't like the engineering of the Marineland, and I have always liked Fluval, so I guess I'm just partial.

Yeah, I've got 3 XP3s and have loved them since day one...no problems. I think there are just lemons every now and again, just like with everything else on the consumer market.

Back
Top Bottom