Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-07-2003, 01:36 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Activist

I have the magnum 350 on my 135g and i've had no problems worth mentioning.

Old 12-07-2003, 07:30 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Freak

Thanks for all the advie everone! There are so many to choose from.

Old 12-07-2003, 08:03 PM   #13
AA Team Emeritus

The XP3 is incredibly easy to clean, and I have heard more good things about it than about the Fluval, for some reason, but it could be just fewer people are led to comment on their Fluvals or something. I have complained on many a thread about my Eheim 2215, and I will say it again, it is a pain to change the filter media but I do believe it will last me forever. Probably not a better brand out there, IMO. I got the Eheim when I thought I would have only one tank (hahahah! Whoo! Knee-slapper, right there!) and now that I am really looking to keep the spending down the Filstar was the best price performer.
TankGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2003, 05:03 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Freak

I have a Filstar xP3 on my 70g, and it runs great. It's also a snap to clean.

-J
Old 12-08-2003, 05:10 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Freak

One more thing worht mentioning- I got my xP3 off of ebay, for <$100 with shipping.

-J
Old 12-11-2003, 11:05 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via AIM to nguyen27 Send a message via Yahoo to nguyen27
I got a HOT Magnum 250 and Fluval 204, so far I"m please with both of them, the Fluval is real quiet and good bio-filter, and the Magnum done a very well job on keeping the water sparkle clean, 3 days ago my sister's 54 gals got an algae bloom, you can't see a thing even with a triple batteries flashlight, I hookup my HOT Magnum with the micron cartridge, 1 days later the aquarium crytal clear! So may be you get both of them for your tank? The HOT can be convert into either micron or bio filter! By the way I used both filters on my 37gals tank!
Old 12-11-2003, 11:41 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Freak

I have a Fluval 203, a Fluval 303, and an Ehheim ecco 2233. I like the Eheim better. Its easier to claen and always starts right away unlike my fluvals. I actually lost some fish due to my Fluval stopping. I will be going wiht Eheim from now on.
Old 12-12-2003, 01:09 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via AIM to nguyen27 Send a message via Yahoo to nguyen27
Xander,
Speaking of 203 and 303 series of Fluval filter, aren't they pretty old?? They don't even have builtin prime as I remeber it, since I use to have 103 fluval, pain in the neck to start. Yeah the Eheim makes very good filter as German made; they are pricey but worth the money tho!
Old 12-12-2003, 11:43 AM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

From reading up on it quite a bit, people typically have more problems with the newer Fluval 04 series compared to 03. The 04 series did have multiple running changes made to the product as well, so it can be difficult to compare.

If you compare the build quality and fitment of Eheim and Filstar to others, the difference is noticable. Check out some reviews here:

http://www.cichlid-forum.com/reviews....php?CatID=104

Eheims have a 9.16 for the Pro II and 9.18 for the Classis, and the Filstar average out to 8.91. The Fluvals only have a 7.66 average rating. The Magnums only have a 7.16 as well. If you read through the reviews, you will get a good feel fot the issues people have had with Fluval and Magnum.

There will always be people that say, "I have had product X for Y years and never had an issue", the important thing is to compare the ammount of good, to the ammount of bad people say. Overall, there are VERY few complaints about Filstars and Eheims compared to Fluval. I would encourage anyone buying a canister to try to get their own hands on one first and see how it is made. I have a newly purchase HOT Magnum and the plastic molding on it is _junk_ and it would not stop leaking air no matter what I did. I gave up on it and bought something else.

Not all Eheims are that expensive, all three ECCOs are less then $100, and some of the Classics are under $100 as well. Filstars can be found for under $100 as well.

I would reccomend anything from Eheim or the Filstars to people buying a canister filter. Paying a little more can help save you from a lot of trouble later.

*15H marine*
-30# Live Rock
-Mixed Snails (Nassarius // Cerith // Astrea // Black Turbo // Mexican Turbo)
-8x Blue Leg Hermit Crabs // 1x Banded Serpent Star // 1x Cleaner Shrimp
-1x Royal Gramma // 1x Percula Clownfish
-2x Mushroom Leather // Metallic Green Star Polyps // Pulsing Xenia // Striped Xenia // Blue Mushroom
-Remora + Maxi-Jet 1200 // 2x Maxi-Jet 600 // Maxi-Jet 400 // Visi-Therm Deluxe 50 // Current USA Orbit 2x 40w PC
grimlock3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2003, 12:04 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to Electrobes
I am definately a fan of the Filstar XP3.Easy to set up, easy to clean, they self prime, etc... you can't go wrong with them.

Tags
canister, canister filter, canister filters, filter, filters

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com