Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-08-2011, 01:28 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

canister filters

Hey what is your guy's experience with the different canisters out there

Old 08-08-2011, 01:40 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to jcolon Send a message via Skype™ to jcolon
I find they're great for tanks around 30 gal+ Anything smaller and an HOB will usually do ... of which there are some good names out there.

The big names in Canisters .. among others are Fluval and Eheim. Canisters really let you customize the filtration method you prefer with a good range of media (ceramic rings, carbon, polishing pads etc)

The Fluval 05 series and the FX5 are great! Quiet, powerful, versatile and easy to configure. What size tank and what kind of fish are you thinking? That will narrow down which canister model works best.

Old 08-08-2011, 01:46 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

It would be for my 75g with two juvi Oscars in it I was looking at the xp4
Old 08-08-2011, 02:06 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to jcolon Send a message via Skype™ to jcolon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquadestroyer View Post
It would be for my 75g with two juvi Oscars in it I was looking at the xp4
I don't know much about Rena ... I've heard they're good. My suggestion would be to compare the xp4 against the Fluval 405. I'm sure both can be found for similar prices. I have the Fluval 404 and it's great! Hopefully a member with an xp4 can give you its details.

Once you make a decision, let us know and we can tell you how to configure the media baskets for the best filtration.

Good Luck!
Old 08-08-2011, 09:37 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

Okay I got the XP 4, I didn't have the money for a fx5
Old 08-09-2011, 10:41 AM   #6

You can get the FX5 online for little more than the XP4 in stores. It is a much better option. If you can I highly recommend returning the XP4 and finding a deal on an FX5.
Old 08-09-2011, 10:44 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Have you looked into cascade canisters? I paid 150 for mine it's a 200 gallon filter with 5 media trays
^ Quoted from Porc Chop^
Hondatek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 10:58 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Activist

Hi! I second Hondatek's recommendation of Penn Plax's Cascade canister filters. I have 2 Cascade 1000s and they each have 3 media trays. They work well.
Old 08-09-2011, 11:06 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

My first canister filter is the Rena XP3 that I have on my 75 gallon tank. I absolutely love it. I love that you can put tons of filter and bio media in the little baskets. It's so quiet, you can't tell it's running. I love that it auto primes and it's user friendly. It keeps this tank really clean. I highly recommend it.
75: blood parrots, featherfin cat, emperor tetras, turquoise rainbowfish, BN plecos, japanese trapdoor; 46: WCMM, gold inca snails, ghost, bamboo & amano shrimp, kuhli loaches, rummynose & ember tetras, endlers, platies, flame gourami, guppies; 16: pygmy, peppered, loxozonus corys, otos, assassins, RCS ... ~ Research PRIOR to purchase.... ~
LyndaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 11:35 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Activist

I'm going to stay with the xp4 what's a good set up I'm just running what they gave me right now

Tags
canister, canister filter, canister filters, filter, filters

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com