Canister filters

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CloudStrife

Aquarium Advice Activist
I would really like to have a canister filter on my 45 gallon tank that I just got. I had a terrible experience with HOT filters with leaking and think a canister would be best. But with a canister filter, do you double the size of the filter for the size of the tank? (45 gal tank = 90 gal max filter size)

Any help would be great! Thanks!

Look at a Fluval 305 or 306(newer model) That should be more than enough filtration for a 45gal. If you want more ... go with a 405 / 406.

So for canister filters the double size rule doesn't apply?

I'd go with the Fluval 306 as recommended by jcolon. They are rated for a 70g tank which would be more than adequate. I just got a Fluval 406 for my 75g tank.

Yeah I read the reviews and they seem great! What about the heater? Should the heater be double too? Or just want it can handle?

Yeah I read the reviews and they seem great! What about the heater? Should the heater be double too? Or just want it can handle?

Most members tend to go by wattage, but realistically, you generally want a heater than can handle 10-20gal more than your tank's volume. You want to ensure that any heater can heat the water up to 90 degrees incase you ever need to treat for diseases like ich.

So for canister filters the double size rule doesn't apply?

For filters you generally want a flow rate about 2x-5x your tank's volume. For really messy .. higher bio-load fish you may want closer to 10x.

As meegosh said 305's are rated for up to 75gal so it's more than enough filtration for a 45gal.

Awesome guys. Thank you to everyone who replied so quickly!

Preferably it's recommended at least 4x your water capacity every hour so 45 x 4 you want something I'm excess of 180 gal an hour

The general rule of thumb is to turn over the total volume of your tank 8-12 times per hour. In your 45 400-500 GPH would be perfect.

Back
Top Bottom