Canister Filters?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lmw80

Aquarium Advice Addict
The only kind of filter I have ever used was an HOB filter. I love bio-wheel filters, and have never had a problem.

My question is...what is the difference between HOB filters and canister filters? Advantages/disadvantages? When you would use one of the other? Also, how do you know which filter media to put in the canister?

Thanks guys.

i have been asking around about canister filters as well. What i have found out is that many people use a canister and a hob filter. And that the media that you put in there is all up to you. That is something that people love about canisters (you can choose whatever filteration that fits your tank best)

Canisters have longer service intervals, let you pick whichever media you want (with few limitations), hold more media, and usually have fewer problems because the water is filtered before it get to the impeller. These typically make better biological filters and filters for large tanks.

Downsides are having hoses run down to the floor (can be a good thing), lower flow rate (sometimes), harder to do maintenence on, cause less surface aggitation (can be fixed). While you can swap out or rinse a filter catrdige in less than 45 seconds, this takes a lot longer on a canister and you have a higher risk of spilling some water around.

I like using both myself. I clean the Aquaclear once a week or so by rinsing the pads, and the Eheim canister gets cleaned about once every 3 or 4 months. In my smaller tank, I use my corner filter like a mini canister, I have a bunch of bio media in it, and I let it get all junked up and full of bacteria before rinsing it. It looks pretty nasty, but it sure helps keep the water clear :)

I have canisters on all tanks 29 gals and up. The only media I use in the baskets is ceramic rings for bacterial growth and the sponges for mechanical filtration. They get cleaned when I notice the surface agitation goes down. I angle the out flow up from under the surface to agitate and aerate the water. I find canisters quieter and the cats can't drink from those tanks as easily :wink:

Ditto. I see in your gallery you have a 10 gal. Unless you plan on going several times larger, a bio-wheel filter should be all you need. I was always partial to the AquaClear HOB's myself. I had a AQ300 for my 29 gal and it did the job pretty well. I had to add filteraid from time to time if I didn't keep up with the water changes.

I have an Eheim 2215 canister on my 55gal this time and couldn't be happier. This is my first time to use a canister type.

For 10Gal probabily Eheim would be a bit over kill. You could try look into Fluval 104 or 204 series. The 104 is for 10 gal tank.

While Eheim does have many capacity filters, any brand canister would probably be overkill for a 10 gal tank. An HOB is ideal for that size.

If you go up in size though, you can't go wrong with Eheim. The only downside is that if you want Eheim brand filter media, they can be hard to find. One of the nice things about canister filters though, is that you don't have to use the manufacturers brand media.

Media found online is much cheaper and more readily available. I have a Rena Filstar XP1 and I use the coarse and not so coarse sponge, a carbon filter and micron filter (the original configuration). I have a 30 gallon tank with African cichlids; I need the extra filtration for my messy fish.

The cannister filter is to the HOB as the computer is to the typewriter.

They both work well, but one performs a lot more functions than the other. I use cannisters on my planted tanks.

I have HOB and Magnum 350.

The HOB and a cannister filter perform and accomplish the job equally well (keep the critters in the tank alive and well). It comes down to ease of operation. Hands down, the HOB is by far cheaper and easier to maintain.

IMHO

A magnum 350 is a pita to maintain--I almost got one until someone here recommended the Rena Filstar XP series. My XP1 is very easy to maintain, but I agree that the HOBs are still easier. The big differences between the HOB and the canister is the canister has a larger surface area for bacteria and has more options as far as media goes.

If I were to use a filter pad or media, what micron level should I use. I have some 100 Micron filter media. Is that too coarse?

Mike

Most canister filter maker include their own media when you buy the filter. Save some $$$ as most filter will still working great after 1-2 years if you maintain them properly.

hth

Yeah I know that, but the "SparkyFilter" don't come with filter media. I want to know what type I should put into it. I am currently working on a 5 gallon canister filter, so the media has to be pretty big so I can cut it to size.

I should be "testing" it on a smaller scale on Sunday or Monday. If all goes well I will have the first full size proto-type built by the following wekend.

Mike

Check out the filter stuff for pond filters. They are large and have the coarse and fine sponges (maybe the micron size is on the packaging). Or buy lots of cheap filter floss.....

Back
Top Bottom