canister filters?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tbrazil230

Aquarium Advice Activist
I will soon be upgrading my 55gal mbuna tank to a 75gal, and with the upgrade I'll probably run 1 ac70 and a canister filter, possibly just the canister, not sure yet but I've never had a canister and I don't know which 1 would be best for my application, I have an open bottom aquarium stand so I want a nice looking filter, but I've been looking at the fluval 406, fx5, g6 and the aqua tops I'm just looking for some input before I buy a filter I won't be happy witg

I would run an hob along with a canister in case the canister is giving you some trouble.

I probably will, either 1 of my ac70s or maybe an ac110 or might just ditch the canister and run 2 110s, oh decisions decisions

When I switched to the API Filstar XL on my 55g, I left out the HOB that had been running. It makes it look a lot cleaner without it being there, has absolutely minimal noise that way, and it's one less piece of equipment to maintain. A canister shouldn't really have a problem, but is definitely worth keeping the HOB on hand to throw in if needed. Just my two cents. Have fun when you step up to a canister - it's well worth it!

I agree with link, redundancy is the best way to go. Although my plans are to have 2 canisters on my 75. I currently have an XP2 and a AQ75 HOB and it works great. I like the value of the HOB filters but they are noisey. my xp2 is soooooo quiet!!

I've been running the Fluval 406 on my 75g for a year now and love it. It was my first canister filter and I'll never go back to AquaClear HOBs again. Maintenance is so easy and they are so much quieter.

Back
Top Bottom