Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 08-05-2004, 02:09 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist
Canister Filters

I have a 125gallon running with two penguin 400's. Looking to order this week a canister filter. Any suggestions I have it down to

1)Magnum 350 Pro System
2)Rena FilStar xP3 Canister Filter
3)ViaAqua Model 750 Canister Filter
3)Fluval 404
- aftering doing some research I am leaning more to the Rena Filstar XP3
- need some feedback

dr.diggler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2004, 02:26 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
Send a message via Yahoo to shawmutt
2--I got the xp1 and couldn't be happier. I will tell you the same thing I tell everyone else--the xp3 shouldn't be more than $109! Long story short, I got ripped at a lfs for my xp1.

~Mike Shaw
Shawmutt.com. Blogs and Pictures of the Massively Multiplayer Offline game, Real Life.
shawmutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2004, 06:21 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic
Wat about Ehiem? I been using fluval 304 for ~1 year and very happy with it.
vega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2004, 10:52 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak
I would get the Ehiem 2028 or the 2128 with the built in heather. They are on sale right now at Big Al's online. After doing some research I found the Ehiem filters to be the best on the market and definitely worth the money.
docrak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2004, 11:14 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict
I vote for Rena or an Eheim. The ViaAquas do not yet have a proven reliablity record yet and are basically Eheim knockoffs. For the price, they are a good deal presuming they hold up. The Magnum 350 works well but is not a "real" canister filter. Fluval is good, but not as good as the first two (imo).
*26 freshwater*
2x Sunburst Platys (2M, 2F) // 3x Neon Tetras (?) // 2x Cherry Barbs (1M, 1F) // 2x YoYo Loaches (?) // 1x Bushy Nose Pleco (M) // 1x Clown Pleco (?) //

*15H marine*
-30# Live Rock
-Mixed Snails (Nassarius // Cerith // Astrea // Black Turbo // Mexican Turbo)
-8x Blue Leg Hermit Crabs // 1x Banded Serpent Star // 1x Cleaner Shrimp
-1x Royal Gramma // 1x Percula Clownfish
-2x Mushroom Leather // Metallic Green Star Polyps // Pulsing Xenia // Striped Xenia // Blue Mushroom
-Remora + Maxi-Jet 1200 // 2x Maxi-Jet 600 // Maxi-Jet 400 // Visi-Therm Deluxe 50 // Current USA Orbit 2x 40w PC
grimlock3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2004, 12:09 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus
I have a ViaAqua and it has held up great--for the year we have had it sp far. I also have Fluvals. I don't see a difference. Both are quiet and you are able to put whatever media you want in them.

Menagerie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2004, 12:56 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict
Send a message via Yahoo to webmoose
stupid question of the day - If you buy a canister filter do you also have to buy a pump? Or is the pump built into the canister itself? And how are the water lines held in the tank? I've always had HOB. I have a HOB emperor 400 on my 58...

Has anyone ever had leaks with canister?

dr.diggler let me know which one you decide on.. I was looking at the Eheim 2028/2026 for my 58g..

58 gallon Community Planted - 4 boesmani / 1 praecox rainbow, 3 giant danios, 1 clown / 1 albino pl*co, 1 bronze / 2 albino cories, cherry barbs, sunset platy's, cardinal tetras

8 Gallon hex - 3 F1 Black Brichardi and fry..("Lamprologus sp. Walter")

10 gallon work tank - Pair of dwarf gourami and 2 cherry barbs / 2 gallon - 4 Fundulopanchax gardneri / 10 gallon - bunch of killitanks

Vote Here for Aquarium Advice
webmoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2004, 01:06 PM   #8
AA Team Emeritus

My 2 cents - I got the Magnum 350 - used, comes with the used tank - & it is a PITA to set up & use. Lots of parts that has to fit just right & the media basket is not as good as others I've seen (one compartment, so if you use more than one media you have to use bags to keep things seperate). Biggest complaint, I have to purge air out of the cannister every few days (somhow it gets in there even tho I can't find no leak) or the thing is noisy.

My problem may be due to the canister being used, but it's only a year or so old - so it is still an indication of problem with longivity... Since i am using it in a sump/wet/dry setup, I'll prob be replacing it with a real pump!

Mooooose .... the pump is built into the canister, and you hold the lines wiht clips (or I just silicone mine in place). <PS - no such thing as a stupid question >
80 gal FW with 30 gal DIY wet/dry/sump.
9 fancy golds, 1 hillstream loaches, 1 rubber-lip pleco (C. thomasi), 3 SAEs, small school of white cloud minnows, planted.
jsoong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2004, 01:47 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict
I've never heard or read anything bad about Eheim, Rena FilStar XP, or Fluval cannisters. They're all supposed to be real quiet and I never heard of one leaking.
I've read mixed opinions about the Magnums - some models seem to be better than others.

If you are shopping for a cannister filter, you want one that comes apart easily for maintenance. You want sturdy media trays - the more the merrier for ultimate flexibility. Media bags seem to be a PITA, IMO.

I have the Eheim 2026 and couldn't be happier! The lines are held in place with high quality suction cups. My favorite features are the built-in priming button, the built-in flow meter, and the valve assembly that closes off the hoses whenever you disconnect them from the pump.
QTOFFER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2004, 01:52 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic
All newer models of canister filter parts can assemble together like lego, including the clip /suction holder (depend on maker) for the water inlet and outlet.

Most important is to get a reputable brand as in most case except for the container and the pump, all parts are replaceable which is great if say 5 years later the filter leaks and you can just order the a replacement rubberband around the canister lid...

vega is offline   Reply With Quote

canister, canister filter, canister filters, filter, filters

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com