Canister Filters

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dr.diggler

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a 125gallon running with two penguin 400's. Looking to order this week a canister filter. Any suggestions I have it down to

1)Magnum 350 Pro System
2)Rena FilStar xP3 Canister Filter
3)ViaAqua Model 750 Canister Filter
3)Fluval 404
- aftering doing some research I am leaning more to the Rena Filstar XP3
- need some feedback

2--I got the xp1 and couldn't be happier. I will tell you the same thing I tell everyone else--the xp3 shouldn't be more than $109! Long story short, I got ripped at a lfs for my xp1.

Wat about Ehiem? I been using fluval 304 for ~1 year and very happy with it.

I would get the Ehiem 2028 or the 2128 with the built in heather. They are on sale right now at Big Al's online. After doing some research I found the Ehiem filters to be the best on the market and definitely worth the money.

I vote for Rena or an Eheim. The ViaAquas do not yet have a proven reliablity record yet and are basically Eheim knockoffs. For the price, they are a good deal presuming they hold up. The Magnum 350 works well but is not a "real" canister filter. Fluval is good, but not as good as the first two (imo).

I have a ViaAqua and it has held up great--for the year we have had it sp far. I also have Fluvals. I don't see a difference. Both are quiet and you are able to put whatever media you want in them.

stupid question of the day - If you buy a canister filter do you also have to buy a pump? Or is the pump built into the canister itself? And how are the water lines held in the tank? I've always had HOB. I have a HOB emperor 400 on my 58...

Has anyone ever had leaks with canister?

dr.diggler let me know which one you decide on.. I was looking at the Eheim 2028/2026 for my 58g..

Moooooooose

My 2 cents - I got the Magnum 350 - used, comes with the used tank - & it is a PITA to set up & use. Lots of parts that has to fit just right & the media basket is not as good as others I've seen (one compartment, so if you use more than one media you have to use bags to keep things seperate). Biggest complaint, I have to purge air out of the cannister every few days (somhow it gets in there even tho I can't find no leak) or the thing is noisy.

My problem may be due to the canister being used, but it's only a year or so old - so it is still an indication of problem with longivity... Since i am using it in a sump/wet/dry setup, I'll prob be replacing it with a real pump!

Mooooose .... the pump is built into the canister, and you hold the lines wiht clips (or I just silicone mine in place). <PS - no such thing as a stupid question :D >

I've never heard or read anything bad about Eheim, Rena FilStar XP, or Fluval cannisters. They're all supposed to be real quiet and I never heard of one leaking.
I've read mixed opinions about the Magnums - some models seem to be better than others.

If you are shopping for a cannister filter, you want one that comes apart easily for maintenance. You want sturdy media trays - the more the merrier for ultimate flexibility. Media bags seem to be a PITA, IMO.

I have the Eheim 2026 and couldn't be happier! The lines are held in place with high quality suction cups. My favorite features are the built-in priming button, the built-in flow meter, and the valve assembly that closes off the hoses whenever you disconnect them from the pump.

All newer models of canister filter parts can assemble together like lego, including the clip /suction holder (depend on maker) for the water inlet and outlet.

Most important is to get a reputable brand as in most case except for the container and the pump, all parts are replaceable which is great if say 5 years later the filter leaks and you can just order the a replacement rubberband around the canister lid...

HTH

Thanks all.. I will get the Eheim 2026 if I decide to upgrade from my HOB emperior..

If you are planning to use CO2 currently/future then do not choose the wet n dry model as you will lose the precious CO2 in the filter.

HTH

I have a filstar XP2 and XP3 running on my 100 gal. tank for over a year now. I did a lot of research on canister filters before deciding on the Filstars. I chose them because of the removable media baskets (with handles), auto priming (after the first time), and it has an auto shut off if the motor starts to overheat. Sometimes I have to touch the tops of mine to make sure they are working! I am very pleased with my Filstars.

I like the Fluval 404.
I have one on my 180 that works very well.
It's easy to clean and it is no0t noisey at all.

But I really like the Ocean Clear canisters.
They are huge and are a pressureized system.
Check them out at www.DrFosrterSmith.com

ordered two xp3's, they should be here either today or tommrow. I will let you know how they work out for me. I have the penguin 400's but they just do not filter fine enough for me.

I'm going to get a canister for my 37gal to help out the eclipse hood filter. The FilStar XP1 looks to be good for the task. I like that it comes with a spraybar. Seems to be a lot of people happy with them.

I have to report a negative review on the Fluvals. I had a Fluval 304 which lasted 7 years. I was told that I was lucky. Two-three years ago when my original Fluval 304 died, I remember reading here about the bad reputation of Fluvals. I didn't listen since I had great luck with the first. I know they are only gauranteed for 3 years, but I don't think it lasted that long. Last Friday night the second 304 went out. I decided against the Fluval make and got an Eheim. The lfs seemed to like them a lot. I got it home. It's quiet. However, the tank water is not the crystal clear that the Fluval would get it. THat's why I'm here. To post a question on how to get the Eheim series to filter as good as the fluval. So I'll post another thread. :wink:

U mean Fluval 303 u brought 7 years ago? The X03 model is totally different from X04 model.

Back
Top Bottom