Canister Filters

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mkiley0598

Aquarium Advice Regular
I know that they are generally not the best option for reef tanks due to nitrate issues. Due to the money it would cost and an issue with fitting it under the stand I am stuck with it for now. To prevent nitrates how often should I clean it and how? any help would be appreciated ?

Nitrates are usually only an issue if they are not cleaned properly. I clean mine once a week, I pull everything out rinse the media in tank water I do it a few times to make sure I get all the gunk out. I also rinse the baskets and dump the water from the filter to remove extra gunk that might be in it.

It have to be cleaned reallly often, so you don't get too much nitrate buildup. HOB filter is best because faster to clean.

So for saltwater tanks do you pretty much have to have a sump? Like just a HOB and a good canister filter wouldn't do good enough for a reef tank?

Canister is not good for saltwater because of the nitrate buildup... The best you can do is cheap HOB filter...

I keep my reef cycled via the Live rocks, and added additional filtration via a HOB protein skimmer.

Protein skimmer is better bet than canister.

Canister would have to be cleaned each weeks, rinse media and pads with tank water, to remove all the gunk, as the folk just stated earlier.

It might not be a bad idea to get a canister filter, ditch the media, and put refugium rubble in its place. I would use a lower flow canister for that though.

Back
Top Bottom