Canister Filters

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Scott1980

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey Folks,

I waiting on my lfs to do a sale so I can purchase a Canister Filter for my 20 Gallon Planted. What does everybody recommend. The lfs carries the "Marineland Magnum H.O.T" They also carry the "Rena". Lady at lfs told me everybody that worked there used "Rena" and it was the best. Just wondering what everybody elses input was. Plus I dread having to buy something made in France which "Rena" is. "Marineland" is MADE IN AMERICA :usa Thanks for Help

Scott
Espresso!!! Breakfast of Champions
:morning:

I personally have never used Rena, but I've heard nothing but good things about them.

Rena XP1 would be the smallest canister filter they make. It'll definitely be more than enough filtration for 20gallons.

I've had a Rena XP3 on my 75G for about a year, and its given me no trouble. I looked at the Magnums when I got it, but the Rena seemed a little more sturdy. I also like the flexibility of the media baskets - I can put just about anything in there in any combination I choose. With the magnums it seemed like I was a bit limited in my choices and somewhat stuck with marineland replacement media. The adjustable flow on the Rena is nice too, since they are very powerful it is nice to be able to turn it down at times.

I've been googling different Canisters on the net, alot of mixed reactions of course. I looked at Fluval also, but I guess you have to clean them often from what I've read. Anything else about why Rena is better? Why does it have to be made in France? France of all places.

Scott
Espresso!!! Breakfast of Champions
:morning:

Aside from Eheim, which IMO is the very best, a Filstar would be an excellent choice. I have had an XP3 for several years now and am very happy with it. I have never owned a Magnum, and that is mainly because there are plenty of people who advise against getting one.

After much agonizing with this same decision myself, I just placed an order to buy a RENA Flistar XP1 myself. Without writing a novel, here's why:

- Self priming was important so I first looked at the Eheim models that self prime which I believe started with the 2026 models. I may be corrected but I know the classic cannister ones aren't self-prime, same as the others below the 2026.
- Thus, I had to think hard about spending around $166 for the Eheim 2026 vs. $68 for the XP1. Yes, I know you can't compare the 2 and if I had a 55 gal or more, I might've pulled the trigger on the Eheim instead.
I have a 29gal, so the XP1 is fine for me.

When it comes down to $$$$... I bought all of the below and it all just about equalled out to what the Eheim 2026 costs alone:
(from Dr Fosters Smith)
- XP1
- extra set of fine foam
- extra set of coarse foam
- extra set of ceramic rings
- ETH In line Heater
- Coralife Powerstrip w/Built in Timer
- All glass canopy for my 10gal (will upgrade lighting soon :D)
- 2 boxes of Flourish Tabs

I'll glady post my experience with the XP1 when I get it (soon hopefully).

Don't get too hung up on self-priming. This is useful only the very first time you set up the filter, and after that only when you move it. Any filter that has quick-release valves for the intake and outflow hoses (all of them do, don't they?) will keep the syphon in the hose until you hook it back up and release the lever, and the canister fills, and off you go.

I have a couple of Eheim Ecco canisters and they self-prime, and are only good for small tanks, but I don't think they are nearly as powerful as the Classic series or the Pro models.

TankGirl said:
I have a couple of Eheim Ecco canisters and they self-prime, and are only good for small tanks, but I don't think they are nearly as powerful as the Classic series or the Pro models.

I'm currently saving for a Ehiem 2260. I can't wait. :D

Back
Top Bottom