After much agonizing with this same decision myself, I just placed an order to buy a RENA Flistar XP1 myself. Without writing a novel, here's why:
- Self priming was important so I first looked at the Eheim models that self prime which I believe started with the 2026 models. I may be corrected but I know the classic cannister ones aren't self-prime, same as the others below the 2026.
- Thus, I had to think hard about spending around $166 for the Eheim 2026 vs. $68 for the XP1. Yes, I know you can't compare the 2 and if I had a 55 gal
or more, I might've pulled the trigger on the Eheim instead.
I have a 29gal, so the XP1 is fine for me.
When it comes down to $$$$... I bought all of the below and it all just about equalled out to what the Eheim 2026 costs alone:
(from Dr Fosters Smith)
- extra set of fine foam
- extra set of coarse foam
- extra set of ceramic rings
- ETH In line Heater
- Coralife Powerstrip w/Built in Timer
- All glass canopy for my 10gal (will upgrade lighting soon
- 2 boxes of Flourish Tabs
I'll glady post my experience with the XP1 when I get it (soon hopefully).