Canister Filters and Bulkheads?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JackBinimbul

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey, everyone. I'm brand new to the entire idea of aquariums, so please forgive me complete ignorance.

I . . . have a dream. It's likely untenable. It's probably unreasonable. It certainly shouldn't be tackled by someone with as little knowledge as I have. And yet, here we are!

I love the idea of a paludarium. There, I said it. I'm not ashamed! Problem is, I've been doing research for weeks and am more confused now than ever. I grabbed a 20L tank to dabble with and get my feet proverbially wet. If I can't manage that much, then I know it's not for me.

So here's my confusion on circulation and filtration; I see that a lot of people recommend drilling the tank low and putting in a bulkhead. Since there's a false bottom involved and land substrate and all that. I see people also recommend an external, canister filter. It's the combination of these things that has me confused.

Is it best to hook the intake for the canister to the bulkhead? I also want a water feature that goes from the land portion back to the water. Would this be the best place for the canister output or would it be best to use a separate pump for this?

I plan to use some sort of filter media such as LECA, activated carbon or matala in conjunction with or to serve as the false bottom. This way, water that goes through the land portion will seep into the "water table". Is this a terrible idea? I will also have live plants on both the land and water portions.

I know that filtration is paramount for this sort of project, so I want to make sure I get it right.

Yea, the hydroballs are LECA! As for the sump, it seems like overkill for the volume of water I'll have. Your sump is the size of my aquarium lol

Your project is looking awesome, so far.

I would drill if you need a lid to keep land creatures in. Make sure tank is not tempered ...
Bulkheads are easily found on ebay or bulk reef supply [with drill bit]. That way you can lead the water in and out where you want.
A good canister may have enough push to "T" your water/land feature from your return all you need for that is a ball valve to limit one or the other.

Back
Top Bottom