Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 03-07-2012, 01:03 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Canister filters clean up

Ive been running a fluval 305 and 306 for a month now and only rinsed the foam pads. But now i am wondering if i have to rinse all the media too from time to time?

SLoViper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 10:31 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
Yeah rinse in previously used tank water in another vessel (ie bucket). They do buildup a small layer of waste over time.

Kind Regards,
Terrance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 10:53 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict
The canister housing itself requires rinsing every now and then to get that inevitable brownish gunk off of it. Otherwise, you're constantly recycling that stuff.

I probably do a complete rinse, housing and components) every other month or so. Depends on your bioload and your general tank habits.
75: blood parrots, featherfin cat, emperor tetras, turquoise rainbowfish, BN plecos, japanese trapdoor; 46: WCMM, gold inca snails, ghost, bamboo & amano shrimp, kuhli loaches, rummynose & ember tetras, endlers, platies, flame gourami, guppies; 16: pygmy, peppered, loxozonus corys, otos, assassins, RCS ... ~ Research PRIOR to purchase.... ~
LyndaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 03:53 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak
After being warned about nitrates with canister filters in this forum I rinse things out at least every other PWC. I just take everything out & rinse it in the water left in the canister, then swish that out to get rid of sediment.

- D
don_chuwish is offline   Reply With Quote

canister, canister filter, canister filters, clean, filter, filters

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com