Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 11-04-2004, 08:04 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak
Canister filters delema..

I have a 50gal tank with a Fluval canister filter, this tank is quite new. I'm not happy with the Fluval, I find that it is quite dirty evertime I clean it, and the tanks water not as clean as it could be.

I'm looking at either a Rena or a Eheim. Any suggestions and expeience with either of these would be apreiciated.

One Fish, Two Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish!!!
puffergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2004, 09:13 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic
I used to be very confident with my fluva 304 too but recent small leaking make me wnat to switch to Rena or Ehiem too if $$$ permitted....

vega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2004, 09:45 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict
Send a message via Yahoo to oscarbreeder
I have had my Fluval 404 for over a year and I love it.
NO problems at all.
Of course it is dirty when you only have to clean them every month or so.
At least all the dirt isnt in your tank.
Mine keeps my 55 crystal clear.
Please remember to vote for Aquarium Advice!

oscarbreeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2004, 04:54 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak
What filter media is used in the Fluval? If just the foam try adding some filter floss. This will trap particles that just pass right thru the foam.
A 37 GL but its really 27gl when full
Security at the expense of freedom results in neither.
chasgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2004, 12:23 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict
I tired posting from work yesterday, but it didn't work.....

I have a fluval and it keeps my water really clear. I am very happy with it and think that other filters may not be that much better given the price.

How often do you clean out the filter? How stocked is your tank? What sort of fish are they? How often do you water change and vacuum the gravel? What sort of food do you feed the fish? All these affect the contents of the filter......

A dirty filter means it is doing the job. The gunk in not in the tank and you can get rid of it. I usually use a layer of filter wool in my fluval and change that when I rinse out the sponges. I do it in a big bucket of water that I have siphoned off.
mattrox is offline   Reply With Quote

canister, canister filter, canister filters, filter, filters

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com