Canister filters delema..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

puffergirl

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a 50gal tank with a Fluval canister filter, this tank is quite new. I'm not happy with the Fluval, I find that it is quite dirty evertime I clean it, and the tanks water not as clean as it could be.

I'm looking at either a Rena or a Eheim. Any suggestions and expeience with either of these would be apreiciated.

I used to be very confident with my fluva 304 too but recent small leaking make me wnat to switch to Rena or Ehiem too if $$$ permitted....

I have had my Fluval 404 for over a year and I love it.
NO problems at all.
Of course it is dirty when you only have to clean them every month or so.
At least all the dirt isnt in your tank.
Mine keeps my 55 crystal clear.

What filter media is used in the Fluval? If just the foam try adding some filter floss. This will trap particles that just pass right thru the foam.

I tired posting from work yesterday, but it didn't work.....

I have a fluval and it keeps my water really clear. I am very happy with it and think that other filters may not be that much better given the price.

How often do you clean out the filter? How stocked is your tank? What sort of fish are they? How often do you water change and vacuum the gravel? What sort of food do you feed the fish? All these affect the contents of the filter......

A dirty filter means it is doing the job. The gunk in not in the tank and you can get rid of it. I usually use a layer of filter wool in my fluval and change that when I rinse out the sponges. I do it in a big bucket of water that I have siphoned off.

Back
Top Bottom