Canister Filters, help me choose one

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

corrado33

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey guys, I'm thinking about upgrading to a canister filter, however this is only for a 12 gallon tank. I know it's overkill, but I just don't think my little aquaclear gives enough water movement. Besides, I'll be upgrading tanks in time anyway, and I feel that a canister filter would weather the changing of tanks a little better.

Is it useless to use a canister filter on such a small tank? (I have a 55 gallon in the basement, but don't have the time or resources to set it up right now)

If it's not useless, what do you think of a marineland c-160? I can get it for about $90 shipped. (New) Is that a good price?

I can get a fluval 105 for about $105 shipped, again is that a good price? Which do you guys prefer? I kinda like the marineland's design better, but then again I have no idea. (I like that water comes up through the entire filter instead of down, around, then up.)

I know there are other brands etc, but these are the ones I see discussed most on the site. (Well the fluval anyway)

In case you were wondering, I have other motives for buying this, but I wanted to discuss the plausibility of having this kind of filter on a small tank first.

Most of us here use Fluvals and eheims. And yes 105 for a fluval 105 is pretty average of a price. I've never used marineland or heard of people using it. So i would just stick with the fluval.

And don't worry. I use canisters on 20gal haha.

I would just go with an aquaclear 20, you will get the same type and depending on what canister you pick, maybe better filtration. You will also save yourself like 60 bucks. I've never been a fan of canister filters on anything under 20. JMO though

I already have an aquaclear 20. :D I was just looking to replace it as with my current project... it's kinda in the way. I was debating setting up another betta tank anyway so if I did I'd need some kind of filter for that. Either way, I'm going to buy a filter. (Yes I do like to have filters on betta tanks, albeit with a low flow rate.) Or, I could use the filter as a QT tank filter, which I was also looking to set up.

Why do you not like to have canisters on anything less than 20 gallons? Too much flow? Isn't the flow rate adjustable?

EDIT: I just realized... the word albeit disobeys the "I before E except after C rule..." Interesting...

I just don't think their necessary when the aquaclears do a supurb job of filtering smaller tanks. Flow rate isn't adjustable like it is on the AC's and that is key for me because I actually use the adjuster. I'm not sure about most canisters but I think the rate isn't adjustable in the easy manner the AC's are.

Hey I have a filter on my 12 gal betta tank too. Haha

If it's not useless, what do you think of a marineland c-160? I can get it for about $90 shipped. (New) Is that a good price?
right now the only other canister i would get other then the xp's that i run would be that one. its a great filter.

the eheim 2217 is a popular canister for small tanks.

I have a fluval 105, 205, and 404. i think they work just fine. I would recommend you look around for a used one as $100 is pretty steep.

Salty fish, did you mean to start your own thread? tell us more about the lights in a new thread.

I have a fluval 105, 205, and 404. i think they work just fine. I would recommend you look around for a used one as $100 is pretty steep.

Salty fish, did you mean to start your own thread? tell us more about the lights in a new thread.

I am so sorry. Yes that was for a new thread. Sorry

Back
Top Bottom