canister filtration

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Snowdr

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Yesterday I got a used 44 gallon corner tank - WHOOP WHOOP - I am so excited. I have wanted one for over 15 years. I cleaned it and redid the silicone this morning and due to location would like to consider a canister filter. However - I have never had one before - only the HOBs. I need help as I don't know the first thing about a canister and don't have a lot of money to spend on one.

I'd love to have some easy, practical advice or where to go to find it. I don't have a lot of confidence in the LFS or Petco - plus they are both 90+ miles away so not a simple task.

I have had aquariums for over 30 years - but didn't really *get into* them till the last few. This will make #8 in my house. (my kids think I have gone off the deep end!) I have a 5.5 hospital tank, a 6.5 guppy tank, a 20 high, 20 long, 20 hex, 29 cichlid (9 juvenile africans), this upcoming 44 corner and a 72 bow. All freshwater.

Attachments

• IMG_20160903_233932025.jpg
    IMG_20160903_233932025.jpg
    251.9 KB · Views: 83
Cool tank! Did you have any luck with canister filters? I just find them like a HOB except bigger. Same ideas on filter media, just more room to experiment.

canister or HOB

No I did not. I just ordered some sand the other day and haven't put in any water yet. I resealed it last Sunday so its ready any time though.

I haven't seen much info on media. Do ceramic rings need to be replaced ever?

As for my HOB experience all I know is I use carbon filters with added filter floss. I know nothing of other medias for canisters.

I think to save money at the moment I will just use the Penguin 200 I have on hand as it is free and uses the same cartridges as a couple other tanks I have so I will have a well seeded filter to jump start the system. This will allow me to get it going without any investment and still do homework on what is out there. I do like that 4 of my tanks all use the same filters.

I use ceramic media, filter sponge and wool mainly. The media and sponge I just rinse off and haven't replaced in a long time. Carbon / purigen can also be used. The main thing I find with canister filters is that the cleaning takes a little longer.

Yeah. I use 2 FX6 canisters for my 150g and 2 AC50 on my 20g L.

The most noticeable difference between the two is it definitely takes more time to maintain a canister. It's not really harder once you become familiar with it, there's just more parts to remove/clean.

Yesterday I got a used 44 gallon corner tank - WHOOP WHOOP - I am so excited. I have wanted one for over 15 years. I cleaned it and redid the silicone this morning and due to location would like to consider a canister filter. However - I have never had one before - only the HOBs. I need help as I don't know the first thing about a canister and don't have a lot of money to spend on one.

Nice find! I'm envious. :brows:

While you're researching, head over to YouTube and look for review and unboxing videos for the filters your interested in. I've found them very helpful. :fish1:

Back
Top Bottom