Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 02-03-2004, 12:21 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic
canister flush

I acquired an Eheim Pro II from a friend and he had been running saltwater for 3 mos with this filter. The canister has been dry for 2 mos. since. I want to use this for a freshwater tank now, can I just flush the medium for a few days and reuse the medium, Ehfisubstrat. I will buy a new filter pad and carbon though. I just hate to waste the medium if I can reuse it.

Let's get a line wet!
got bait? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2004, 01:12 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
The ProII is a nice filter - I have a 2026. If you rinse the media really good in a bucket and then run the filter for a few days with frequent water changes, I can't see why you can't reuse the media. You'll also probably have to clean dried salt off the O-ring under the lid.

QTOFFER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2004, 06:38 PM   #3
Yeah, you can re-use the media. Like QT said, rinse it all really well, you'll be fine. look for anywhere salt may have stuck to the filter, rinse that off really well also. Of course you don't want to get water into any of the electrical parts, safety first!

I have re-used filters in the past for my fw tanks that were originally on SW tanks with no problems.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com