Canister for 29 gal?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Now that I started this subject, I was also curious... Why is it suggested that canister filters get cleaned weekly for saltwater and usually monthly for freshwater?

Now that I started this subject, I was also curious... Why is it suggested that canister filters get cleaned weekly for saltwater and usually monthly for freshwater?

They're reportedly nitrate farms. Speaking purely from research here, but apparently nitrates build up in them. Saltwater fish are much less tolerant of nitrates than fresh, hence more cleaning to reduce nitrate build up.

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong though :)

ROFL. It's better with no compartments because there's no bypass. :lol:

How can a filter with no division operate in a manner better to one which passes the water through specific media at a specific point in the filtration process?

An empty bucket full of stuff can't be more effective? If I empty the trays out of my filter and just have stuff swirling in the shell it does not operate anywhere near as efficient?

It's not funny, well maybe it is to you but I can't see how it could be any where near as effective as an organised pattern of detritus removal via filter media?

Please explain.

They're reportedly nitrate farms. Speaking purely from research here, but apparently nitrates build up in them. Saltwater fish are much less tolerant of nitrates than fresh, hence more cleaning to reduce nitrate build up.

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong though :)

No, you are correct but. . .

I can't think why you would use a canister filter on a marine system nowadays?

My best research tells me a skimmer and live rock will do everything and more than a filter could?

Anyone? Is there a reason, please tell me so I know.

How can a filter with no division operate in a manner better to one which passes the water through specific media at a specific point in the filtration process?

An empty bucket full of stuff can't be more effective? If I empty the trays out of my filter and just have stuff swirling in the shell it does not operate anywhere near as efficient?

It's not funny, well maybe it is to you but I can't see how it could be any where near as effective as an organised pattern of detritus removal via filter media?

Please explain.

filstarflow4.jpg

vs
fl_classic_media.jpg

In reality, both filters are doing the exact same thing. (These 2, or a 306 or an FX6. It's all the same concept) You're running water through one media, then another, then another, then out of the filter.

The 2213/2215/2217 uses space more effectively than the XP1/2/3/4 (for example) because the water does not have to flow down along the outside of the media baskets then up through the media baskets. it just goes straight from the bottom to the top on the Eheim.

Additionally, since the baskets on the XP do not have O-rings between them, it is possible for small amounts of water to be sucked in through the space between baskets, by passing some of the lower media. There isn't much bypass but it is still present.

I like the Eheim design better.

If the media gets blocked at one particular stage bypass might save you bills on parts or a cut off. Never used a flow through design.
The concept is the same, Which was my question, What exactly is the point? They are the same! Lois Armstrong you say potato I say potato.
The filter is rated at g/p/h in both cases? It wasn't made clear enough that the filter was flow through design. Just a bunch of letters to me!

All I can see is,
Which would you pick if your fish were priceless.

If the wool becomes blocked and stops flow?
If the wool becomes blocked and is bypassed just a tiny bit?

If the media gets blocked at one particular stage bypass might save you bills on parts or a cut off. Never used a flow through design.
The concept is the same, Which was my question, What exactly is the point? They are the same! Lois Armstrong you say potato I say potato.
The filter is rated at g/p/h in both cases? It wasn't made clear enough that the filter was flow through design. Just a bunch of letters to me!

All I can see is,
Which would you pick if your fish were priceless.

If the wool becomes blocked and stops flow?
If the wool becomes blocked and is bypassed just a tiny bit?

You don't use wool in an Eheim if you're smart. Or any canister filter. Needs to be serviced weekly in most cases if you use wool. They don't even come with it any more. Just Ehfimech, blue pad (loose sponge), Ehfisubstrat, blue pad.

You don't use wool in an Eheim if you're smart. Or any canister filter. Needs to be serviced weekly in most cases if you use wool. They don't even come with it any more. Just Ehfimech, blue pad (loose sponge), Ehfisubstrat, blue pad.

I use wool, I change it depending upon needs per tank. It's a good collection point. Makes a difference to the point that I will not run a system without it. Prevents premature blocking of biological stage, to me that element must be in perfect condition at all times. It is the most important stage.

Edit-
So you chance your filter stopping if you are not smart, I'm pleased I'm not smart!
Edit2- if you gravel vac as you should you can reduce filter load considerably and let filter take care of what you missed.

Back
Top Bottom