Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-13-2013, 12:11 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Canister for 29 gal?

I was interested in getting a canister filter for my 29 gal freshwater tank. If I went with a fluval, what would be a decent size for my 29 gal? Also for a 40B and 55 gal. Thanks.

Old 11-13-2013, 12:36 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

The fluval canisters are great and do a great job on my 55 gallon. For a 29 a 106 or 206 would be fine depending on how much filtration you want and on a 55 or 40 get a 406 and call it good. Best canister I've ever owned, just make sure the o-ring is on good and you won't have any problems.

Old 11-13-2013, 12:43 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maridia View Post
I was interested in getting a canister filter for my 29 gal freshwater tank. If I went with a fluval, what would be a decent size for my 29 gal? Also for a 40B and 55 gal. Thanks.
2213 for the 29 gallon, 2215 for the 40 and 2217 for the 55. I think Eheim canisters are better than Fluval so that's what I'd recommend.
Old 11-13-2013, 12:50 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Ehiems are also good but cleaning them is a nightmare, fluvals have different containers for media and a water stop valve allowing you to easily control both flow and easy cleaning. Equal filtration value but fluval has easier cleaning, just a matter of personal preference.
Old 11-13-2013, 02:09 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Cool guys! Thanks!
Old 11-13-2013, 06:14 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Eheims are much better than fluvals in the long haul, cleaning depends on the model. Even the classic series aren't that bad though IME.
Old 11-13-2013, 01:06 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddnbecka View Post
Eheims are much better than fluvals in the long haul, cleaning depends on the model. Even the classic series aren't that bad though IME.
Ehh depends. And your the only eheim person to actually say they appreciate the "classic" series lol anyway I've had my 304 for quite a few years now and I did some simple maintenance on it ($10- impeller shaft/cover) and it runs like new I can't even tell its on unless I open my cabinet and listen closely. I also got mine used. Most people don't acquire used eheims and since fluvals seem to be more widely available they get the most abuse from newer enthusiasts
Old 11-13-2013, 01:28 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Eheim classics are the best filters and have the reputation to boot here in the UK. I'm not an eheim fanboy and I'm also in a position where I can comment on both as i do own a Fluv406 and a couple of classics (2213,2217).

Both are actually great filters but for longevity eheims reliability cant be questioned. My friend has a 2213 that's almost 10years old which speaks for itself. Fluvals are easier to access but the fact remains that it only takes 30seconds more to clean so is insignificant, after all how often to we clean filters, once a month, every 2 months?

On a 29 I would definitely skip the 2213 for the 2215 though if this will be used without a power head, the 2213 will definitely sustain the tank biologically but flow wont be adequate. The 206 on the other hand will probably be adequate for both filtration and flow. Also, mechanically the fluval seems better at polishing water.

Filter arguments, in particular eheim vs fluval has raged for year and will continue to do so, I Like both as both are GOOD filters and you cant really go wrong with either.

New tank, New filter, pushed into a corner, which would I buy? Id have to say Eheim

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
molliwopp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 06:40 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallascowboys16 View Post
Ehiems are also good but cleaning them is a nightmare,
Oh come on, no its not. Pour media into buckets, clean pads, put media back. It's a five minute process.
Old 11-13-2013, 08:01 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

I can't speak to fluval filters as I have never had one but I have owned eheims. They are great filters and their customer service is top notch. I broke the disconnect valve on one by pushing too hard and they sent me a new one free of charge and I was a year or two past the end of the warranty.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com