Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-09-2013, 07:06 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Canister for 37gal

At the moment I'm running an internal filter on my 37gal planted. While it's gph is rated strongly enough for it I'm not entirely convinced how efficient it is, so I'm looking into getting a canister.

At the moment I'm looking at SunSun HW-302s. So far any reviews I've found online have given positive feedback, but I'd still like to know what other options are around I guess.

Being a student I'm fairly restrained by price. I haven't looked at my LFS yet, but that's on the to do list. So in general I'd just be interested in some discussion of some more affordable canisters

Old 10-09-2013, 10:00 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtez View Post
At the moment I'm running an internal filter on my 37gal planted. While it's gph is rated strongly enough for it I'm not entirely convinced how efficient it is, so I'm looking into getting a canister. At the moment I'm looking at SunSun HW-302s. So far any reviews I've found online have given positive feedback, but I'd still like to know what other options are around I guess. Being a student I'm fairly restrained by price. I haven't looked at my LFS yet, but that's on the to do list. So in general I'd just be interested in some discussion of some more affordable canisters
How much do you want to spend? Stay away from LFS prices until you find what you want. I am buying a Ehim 2217 for 142. The LFS seeks it for over 200. Another LFS sells it for over 300. I am having them price match it if not buy it online for the 142. Make sure you shop around.

Old 10-09-2013, 10:13 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

ive heard good things about the sunsuns, are you ordering off of ebay?
Old 10-09-2013, 10:16 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

Preferably less than $100, but I truly have no idea what the market for it is like so if I'll have to go higher then I will.

The biggest problem with buying online is often shipping, but it can still work out to be good value if i find a bargain or domestic (Australia).

The SunSuns I was looking at, I would be able to buy for about 80-100 with shipping off eBay.
Old 10-09-2013, 10:29 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I'd get the sunsun 303B at Sunsun HW 303B 4 Stage Aquarium External Canister Filter w 9W UV Sterilizer 370g | eBay , its 69$ but shipping to australia is 56.64$. Seems a little out of your price range but it'd be a great filter for your tank

or, http://www.ebay.com/itm/300916429308 is 54$ and has 51$ shipping
Old 10-09-2013, 10:35 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

Came across this:

http://www.guppysaquariumproducts.co.../prod_250.html

Looks identical to the SunSuns (I'm aware they sell basically the same product under a few different names).

My concern is overfiltration. Is 260gph going to cause too much current for my 37gal?

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com