Canister for 55 gal?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Psyhampster

Aquarium Advice Addict
I'm thinking about using a canister filter for my 55 gal when i get it. The kit i'm gonna get includes a HOB filter and cartridges. should i use that or sell it and get a canister filter or use both? What are the pros and cons of a canister filter?

I use both a canister and a HOB on my 55.
I have a Fluval 404 and I really like it.

Pros:
They hold alot of media.
They are quiet.
Easy to clean.
Work great...IMO

Cons
Kinda $$

But I think it's money well spent.

Pros:
They hold alot of media.
They are quiet.
Easy to clean.
Work great...IMO

Cons
Kinda $$
Agreed, but once they are set up, there is no changing cartridges. Plus, they only need cleaning once every two months or so, depending on fish load.

I LOVE my canister filter. I cant hear it at all, its a cinch to clean, and I can fit all sorts of media in there... Its the only way to go. I did put a HOB on the tank for a while to "seed" it, and the two filters working together made my water so clear, it looked like my fish were floating on air... Im now thinking about getting another HOB to replace that one.

I would do both. Good Luck!!

I have a Filstar XP3 on my 55 and would not go back. I would also consider a XP2 and a HOB working together if you were interested in having biowheels.

im sure im way overdoing it but i have a filstar xp2, emperor 400 and a whisper 30-60 on my 55 gallon chiclid tank. needless to say water is crystal clear and fish look happy.

Ok, what I think I'll do is when I get the 55 gal, i'll start doing a filter change on my 20 gal, and once the bacteria are setttled onto the new cartridge, i'll use the old one to seed the 55 gal.

Also, any particuler canister filter that you recommend? What is so great about having different medias?

Lots of people like the Fluval 404 and I am a fan of the Rena Filstar XP3 or any of the Eheim models, Professional II being my preference.

A canister can hold biomedia, meaning hard surface media (ceramic "noodles" are very popular) as well as simple floss and sponges for mechanical filtration. The floss gets replaced and the hard media and sponges gets rinsed out and reused over and over. There is a lot of flexibility in that you can use carbon and other chemical filtration type media (phosphate removing media, etc.) to handle specific issues with your tank or tap water.

The major plus is that the actual filter is stored under the tank or otherwise out of sight and you generally don't have noise or space issues like a HOB. You can keep your tank closer to the wall with a canister filter. You don't have to service a canister as often as a HOB, but I do think it is wise to replace the floss once a week in a canister (I'll not be popular for that statement - but it is just my personal preference). You can certainly leave a canister alone for several months and in general have no adverse effects.

Depending on the tank size, a canister filter is about as big as a shoebox standing on end (I guess it also depends on your shoe size :biglol:).
You certainly will not be able to hang a canister filter, it will need to sit on the floor. The hoses are designed to go straight down the back of the tank towards the floor, where the canister filter is.

That's true about the price, but the Eheim is a filter that will last you almost 2 decades - no lie. Think of what you will spend on filtration in that time if you maintain the tank all the while. If I wasn't on such a budget all the time I'd use Eheims exclusively.

Using fluval 304 right now but if budget permit or getting new tank, Eheim would be 1st choice.

I have a 55 gallon tank, and I use a Rena Filstar canister filter (one compartment with bio media and the other with various sponge media). I absolutely LOVE it! Regardless of brand name, I heartily recommend one.

Back
Top Bottom