Canister for a 20g

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

superdave07

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have 20g sw tank with a Aquaclear 50 and a Fluval U1 underwater filter, I want to take the u1 out and add a canister filter, one that can be above the tank in a cabinet. Any suggestions ?

Not sure on the SW side if it makes a difference, but I love the Eheim Classic canisters for FW applications. They are reasonably priced, reliable, durable, and right sized for the type of application you are looking for. They are also so quiet you can't tell it is running. I have a couple of the Eheim 2213s.

Not sure on the SW side if it makes a difference, but I love the Eheim Classic canisters for FW applications. They are reasonably priced, reliable, durable, and right sized for the type of application you are looking for. They are also so quiet you can't tell it is running. I have a couple of the Eheim 2213s.
can it be placed above the tank?

No, I don't believe so. Most, if not all canisters need to be below the level of the tank. They rely on siphoning action to get the water out of the tank. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that's pretty universal.

does any one know a canister filter that don't use siphoning so it can be about level or just above the tank?

Once the filter is running you can place it up above. If you loose power it will loose prime up there and if you are not around burn up the pump when power is restored.

chasgood said:
Once the filter is running you can place it up above. If you loose power it will loose prime up there and if you are not around burn up the pump when power is restored.

Ok I bout and returned the Fluval canister it would not work above

Any one a canister that will work above for sure??

It's my understanding that most all canister filters need to be below the tank and even then, there's a limit to the distance from the top of the tank to the canister below. For example, my fluval 305 had very specific specs on this when I was first setting it up.

I think Hondatek is referring to the Marineland Magnum H.O.T. canister filter system. The HOT means hang on tank, same as HOB hang on back.

H.O.T. Magnum Compact Hang-On Tank Filter by Marineland - Filters - Fish - PetSmart

On my 20, mind you it's a FW, I run two Rapids mini canister filters. Each is rated for 20g but we all know manufacturers tend to pad that rating. They come with a rack that hangs on the tank so that they are at least tank level. Kind of like the Magnum above.

Rapids Mini Canister C 80

Like others have stated, I don't think most canisters except these two can be kept above the tank for siphoning reasons.

Yea that's the one . Don't know how good it is but that's the only canister I seen that's not under the tank

Back
Top Bottom