Canister for SW?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
G

I am curious. Has anyone used canister filter for saltwater tanks FO? How successful is it to use a canister?

I am running two canisters on mine. Filstar xp2 and a cascade 1000. I do weekly weekly water changes, about 20gallons at a time, and I clean out the canisters every time to try and avoid high nitrates. So far so good. My nitrates have never been over 20. I have a skimmer but its a pain to work and its loud so I haven't been using it.

Canisters on SW tanks can work just fine, providing you clean them on a very regular basis as Meredith has explained. Without regular cleaning they have a tendency to collect detritus and cause NO3 to climb. Your challenge will be to "clean" the canister without disturbing the biological bacteria in it. A better option is to use LR in your main tank as your biological filtration and use the canister for chemical/mechanical filtration and for water movement.

the ehiem pro or pro II is a good choice, just clean as lando stated above with other bacterial filter media in place.

I have a Eheim professional 2 on my 150 gallon and another on my 100 gallon. Ive had no problems with nitrates as of yet. When cleaning the media, id suggest maybe replacing half in each basket as to allow the bacteria to "jump" over to the new stuff. Im switching to a sump within the next few months. Just need my skimmer and return pump and im good to go. Id say just go with the sump. Everyday i wish i had more LR and a sump on my tank. Research and think about it.

dont know about this but i would think on the type of tank u want...I wouldnt think it would do good for a reef....plus they seems to be alot more maintainance then having a sump

I know someone who uses one right after a water change to help with circulation and extra filtration for the new water. Runs it for that day and thats it. Collects a buncha excess garbage and helps clear the water.... basically a microfilter on a high-volume pump. Rinse the filter and repeat on the next water change. ;)

Too much maintenance to run continuously, IMO.

I have a fluval 404 myself. I recently removed the sponge and carbon and left the ring things. I changed the configuration to go empty, rings, empty, rings. Its been up for a few days now and I dont see any problems.

Back
Top Bottom