Canister Media Advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Blindmelon119

Aquarium Advice Regular
So, I have my first Canister and I'm trying to get a deeper knowledge of filter media. I've read the various sales pitches for various media. According to the pitches, you can't live without any of this stuff. Besides Bio Balls, what is the absolute, must have media for the absolute best water conditions. I'm talking for the absolute most delicate fish imaginable.

So, I have my first Canister and I'm trying to get a deeper knowledge of filter media. I've read the various sales pitches for various media. According to the pitches, you can't live without any of this stuff. Besides Bio Balls, what is the absolute, must have media for the absolute best water conditions. I'm talking for the absolute most delicate fish imaginable.
Well apart from the obvious, bio balls and pads, I would say Purigen. Your stock will survive without it but I swear by it, as many people do, who use it. Filter floss would be my next recommended necessity.
Used together will give you sparkling water that is hard to beat.....

I've kept lots of pretty delicate fish. I don't use Purigen for FW tanks (no ill effects) but you can if you want to. I'd probably substitute ceramic media for bio balls- brand name does not matter. All the biological media does is provide surface area for your bacteria to colonize. It's 6 of one half dozen of the other. Many models of canister filters will come with sponge pads or similar. Use the coarse sponge where the incoming water first contacts it (in my Rena Filstars, that is on the bottom), then use your finer pad(s), then your bio media, then your floss/polishing pad/whatever if you choose to use one.

Ultimately, there are a lot of different ways to do it and products to use, and the end result is pretty much the same. ;)

Running 55gal with fluval canister on stock foam pads , stock bio media (ceramic) and polishing pads. No carbon and no purigen, instead used the space in trays for more biomedia. Water is very clear , even when looking trough sides.

Back
Top Bottom