Canister or Bio-wheel?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sunni

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have aquired a 75 gallon and a 58 gallon and now I need the equipment to them set up! I have always used a bio-wheel in my 20 gallon but I have heard that a canister filter is the way to go on larger tanks, particularly planted tanks. I think I will use a canister on the 75 but I am not sure about the 58, I want to hear your opinions on what is best.

I don't see whats wrong with HOBs on planted tanks.

Every planted and sand bottomed tank I own has a hob, never had any problems.. just on a 75 you'd probably want to run an Emporer 400, or even two.

yeah personally i think the hob would be better because usually creates less surface agitation so reduce the c02 exchange. also the canisters might blow over your plants. not sure on the last part but im sure it could happen.

why dont you go with a canister and a biowheel :). i dont know canisters but you can get the marineland biowheel attachment and get like the rena or fluval or watever.

I agree with nyghtone!

That is the exact system I would get! the Best of both worlds!

Infact, I bought that exact one for use on my 37 gallon SW tank before I realized that Bio-wheels are no good on a SW tank. :D

Its all depend whether you will going to use CO2 in the planted tank or not. If you do then canister would be a better choice.

The canister will not blow the plant all over. Its depend what type of water outlet u use. A 30cm 1" PVC pipe with a row of 9mm hole will minimise the blowing effect so much the fish will not 'surfing' at the water outlet anymore. Check tankgirl's gallery closely, few of the pic have some sample. I use those kind of setup for water outlet as well. Btw i am using fluval 304 for my 32 gal.

CO2 exchange is not a issue at all as long there is some water surface movement. In fact if the tank is properly setup (~3wpg, co2, proper filter type), the biggest problem would be not enuf CO2 and NO3, but then that another chapter... :D
HTH

I have only used a canister so I can't contrast the two filter types. However, I have been happy with the canisters. Without some diffusion type device on the outfeed line, the canister does cause a current in the tank. I consider that a pro rather than a con.

A 304 on a 32 gal! Man I thought I oversized when I used a 304 on a 55g.

dang you people stay up late. i went to bed at 11:00 and theres still 4 posts in here after that

Initially i want to get the 204 but i knew i am getting the 55-60 gal so i just brought the bigger one :D :D

Magnum 350's are'nt the best canister filters. They have a tendency to push the water around the filter, rather than through it. Bio wheels are terrible for a planted tank. Bio wheels remove to much bacteria from the water that plants need to live. They also produce to much surface agetation, causing valuable CO2 loss, which plants need also.

The only type of filtration you need for a planted tank is mechanical. Consider a Fluval or Rena canister. Load it up with a couple of various foams, some floss and your good to go on a planted tank.

Also, if this is your first planted tank. I can't stress enough how important it is to research and get a basic understanding of water chemistry and how much is needed for a successful planted tank. The more research and knowledge you gain now. The less time, money and headaches you'll have in the future.

Edit: Perhaps a moderator can move this thread to the planted section, where it will get better responses :wink:

I agree totally that a canister is better for a planted tank, and I am not a fan of the Magnum 350s, but lots of people have them and are quite happy.

Sunni - I'll move it over to Planted for you.

Bio-Wheels are not terrible for planted tanks. They just make it harder to keep decent CO2 levels. I have never heard of a Bio-Wheel removing bacteria. Can you point me to a source of this information? And as far as I know plants don't need bacteria to live. Perhaps you have confused ammonia or nitrite with bacteria?

I do agree that the Magnum 350 is not that good of a filter as it has a very small surface area for mechanical filtration.

Rex,

You bring up a very good point. I made a mistake. Biowheels remove amonia ,not bacteria, which in a planted tank amonia will be eaten up, if maintained correctly. Perhaps I should proof read more often :roll:

Seeing how this post was "canister or biowheel for a planted tank". I'm standing firmly on a canister. Although I've never ran a Magnum 350, only researched it. I'm still standing firm on the fact that theres better canister's on the market. Rena, Ehiem and Fluval all make a better can IMO.

Back
Top Bottom