Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-09-2004, 04:14 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Canister or Bio-wheel?

I have aquired a 75 gallon and a 58 gallon and now I need the equipment to them set up! I have always used a bio-wheel in my 20 gallon but I have heard that a canister filter is the way to go on larger tanks, particularly planted tanks. I think I will use a canister on the 75 but I am not sure about the 58, I want to hear your opinions on what is best.

sunni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2004, 04:21 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

I don't see whats wrong with HOBs on planted tanks.

Every planted and sand bottomed tank I own has a hob, never had any problems.. just on a 75 you'd probably want to run an Emporer 400, or even two.

Old 09-10-2004, 12:40 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to krap101
yeah personally i think the hob would be better because usually creates less surface agitation so reduce the c02 exchange. also the canisters might blow over your plants. not sure on the last part but im sure it could happen.

why dont you go with a canister and a biowheel . i dont know canisters but you can get the marineland biowheel attachment and get like the rena or fluval or watever.
Old 09-10-2004, 01:03 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via ICQ to nyghtone Send a message via AIM to nyghtone Send a message via MSN to nyghtone Send a message via Yahoo to nyghtone
I agree with krap101, check out this link

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...al&Np=1&N=2004

This system is great, if I had a FW setup that big I would use it.

HTH, Joshua...

www.nyghtone.com
nyghtone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2004, 01:10 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to RocketSeason
I agree with nyghtone!

That is the exact system I would get! the Best of both worlds!

Infact, I bought that exact one for use on my 37 gallon SW tank before I realized that Bio-wheels are no good on a SW tank.
Hardware: 37 gallon SW tank and stand by Oceanic Systems, Magnum 350 Pro Canister Filter (half carbon), CPR Bak Pak 2R skimmer, Maxijet 1200 Powerhead, RenaCal 150 W heater, Compact fluorescent lights with moonlights. 40 lbs of liverock, 3" sand bed.

Software:2 Tank-Raised Ocellaris Clowns, 1 Purple Firefish, 1 Electric Orange hermit crab, 18 Blue Legged hermit crabs, 8 or so Nassarius snails, Xenia, Blue, green, and Green Striped Mushrooms.

Click here to vote for AquariumAdvice.com: The friendliest, fishiest place on the net!

Central Illinois Marane Aquarist (CIMA) member.
RocketSeason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2004, 02:35 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Its all depend whether you will going to use CO2 in the planted tank or not. If you do then canister would be a better choice.

The canister will not blow the plant all over. Its depend what type of water outlet u use. A 30cm 1" PVC pipe with a row of 9mm hole will minimise the blowing effect so much the fish will not 'surfing' at the water outlet anymore. Check tankgirl's gallery closely, few of the pic have some sample. I use those kind of setup for water outlet as well. Btw i am using fluval 304 for my 32 gal.

CO2 exchange is not a issue at all as long there is some water surface movement. In fact if the tank is properly setup (~3wpg, co2, proper filter type), the biggest problem would be not enuf CO2 and NO3, but then that another chapter...
HTH
Old 09-10-2004, 08:19 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to mitche8359
I have only used a canister so I can't contrast the two filter types. However, I have been happy with the canisters. Without some diffusion type device on the outfeed line, the canister does cause a current in the tank. I consider that a pro rather than a con.

A 304 on a 32 gal! Man I thought I oversized when I used a 304 on a 55g.

55 gal fresh - planted 2wpg ~ Eheim eco filter ~ south american theme
java moss - misc anubia - amazon sword - Red rubin sword - tennellus chain swords
4 ottos, 1 pleco, 3 high fin white tetras, 3 Black Phantom Tetras, 1 high fin black tetra, 1 black tetra, 2 diamond tetras, 3 yoyos

Join the Ohio Regional Forum and share information with local enthusiasts
Vote for Aquarium Advice Today
mitche8359 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2004, 09:46 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to krap101
dang you people stay up late. i went to bed at 11:00 and theres still 4 posts in here after that
Old 09-10-2004, 10:54 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Initially i want to get the 204 but i knew i am getting the 55-60 gal so i just brought the bigger one
Old 09-10-2004, 11:49 AM   #10

Magnum 350's are'nt the best canister filters. They have a tendency to push the water around the filter, rather than through it. Bio wheels are terrible for a planted tank. Bio wheels remove to much bacteria from the water that plants need to live. They also produce to much surface agetation, causing valuable CO2 loss, which plants need also.

The only type of filtration you need for a planted tank is mechanical. Consider a Fluval or Rena canister. Load it up with a couple of various foams, some floss and your good to go on a planted tank.

Also, if this is your first planted tank. I can't stress enough how important it is to research and get a basic understanding of water chemistry and how much is needed for a successful planted tank. The more research and knowledge you gain now. The less time, money and headaches you'll have in the future.

Edit: Perhaps a moderator can move this thread to the planted section, where it will get better responses

Tags
bio, bio-wheel, canister, eel

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com