Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-28-2013, 06:06 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Canister or HOB??

Fairly new to the aquarium world! I started cycling my new 20gallon long today. I bought an aqua tech filter that hangs on the back but am considering ordering a canister instead. I have heard that they are better. Can someone help me out please??

Old 09-28-2013, 06:08 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist

It is the marine land hot magnum 250 that I'm considering getting.

Old 09-28-2013, 11:19 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

Canister filters aren't necessarily better then HOB (hang on back) filters. They both get the job done. Maintenance on a HOB is probably easier then a canister since you don't have to unhook it on take it apart to clean it. Canisters give you more options on where to put your intake and returns giving you a little more adjustment on where you want flow. Other then that it's probably mostly personal preference. Most smaller tanks use HOB and bigger tanks lean more towards canisters. As long as your HOB is big enough for your tank you woukd befine but If you have the money and want to try a canister filter you could always run them both as long as it doesn't add to much current for the fish you have. Nothing wrong with running more then one filter and sometimes its a good idea. Then you have a backup alreadygoing Iif one happens to die on you. I have a small 10 gallon with a HOB and a 140 gallon with 2 canisters and a HOB. You really cant go wrong either way as long as you research the filters you looking at buying to see if others had any issues with them.
Old 09-28-2013, 11:23 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to jcolon Send a message via Skype™ to jcolon
+1 with Iscotty. Personally, with a 20gal, just go with an HOB.
Old 09-28-2013, 11:39 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

Okay thanks! I will probably just stick with the hob for now.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com