Canister or HOB??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

callylynn

Aquarium Advice Activist
Fairly new to the aquarium world! I started cycling my new 20gallon long today. I bought an aqua tech filter that hangs on the back but am considering ordering a canister instead. I have heard that they are better. Can someone help me out please??

It is the marine land hot magnum 250 that I'm considering getting.

Canister filters aren't necessarily better then HOB (hang on back) filters. They both get the job done. Maintenance on a HOB is probably easier then a canister since you don't have to unhook it on take it apart to clean it. Canisters give you more options on where to put your intake and returns giving you a little more adjustment on where you want flow. Other then that it's probably mostly personal preference. Most smaller tanks use HOB and bigger tanks lean more towards canisters. As long as your HOB is big enough for your tank you woukd befine but If you have the money and want to try a canister filter you could always run them both as long as it doesn't add to much current for the fish you have. Nothing wrong with running more then one filter and sometimes its a good idea. Then you have a backup alreadygoing Iif one happens to die on you. I have a small 10 gallon with a HOB and a 140 gallon with 2 canisters and a HOB. You really cant go wrong either way as long as you research the filters you looking at buying to see if others had any issues with them.

Okay thanks! I will probably just stick with the hob for now.

Back
Top Bottom