Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-10-2012, 03:26 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikki_kaiser
So I've done some research and all of the suggestions here are great (decisions decisions!!)! If I'm thinking of turning my tank into a reef tank, will it matter as to which canister I want to get or is this a dumb question? Also, once I get the canister, should I leave my current filtration system on for a few weeks to break in the canister so I don't have another cycle? I ask a lot of questions. I just don't want to kill anything in my tank.
When I was setting up my fluval 406 I took the old media and sponges from my eheim internal box filter and added them to the first box in the canister and my tank is doing great lost no fish and even on the same day added two discus

Old 08-10-2012, 03:28 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Animal fanatic

When I was setting up my fluval 406 I took the old media and sponges from my eheim internal box filter and added them to the first box in the canister and my tank is doing great lost no fish and even on the same day added two discus
Hmmm not sure if you should use the old media with a reef tank , sorry I'm not an expert on salt water tanks

Old 08-10-2012, 08:39 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Would a sump be better? I don't want to drill my tank and I've read up on sumps etc. I can build a sump however I was concerned about overflow during electricity loss if I weren't home.
Old 08-10-2012, 09:07 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Activist

I have a Nexx canister and it works great. You can get one main and then add a second extension for up to 125 gal. Its easy to use, easy to change media and it self primes! I love the ease of it! And affordable. About $150 for the main filter and the extension.

Tags
canister

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com