Canister Questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nikki_kaiser

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I'm wanting to get a canister filter and wanted to know if there is a site that rates them. I want something rated for a 100 gallon tank (I have a 56 gal. Tank but the more the better!). Also, if you decide to use a sump I assume you can use it with this correct? Thank you!

I dont know about a rating site but I usually check on the forum for past posts or start a thread asking about a particular model. I also look at vendors sites and look at the ratings they have posted there. Most of them are pretty honest about the feedback and dont hide the bad reviews.

To answer your other question, yes you can use a canister with a sump but why would you want to? The purpose of the sump is to act as your filter although (as you said) more is better. You can find setups online showing how to set it up.

I bought a fluval 406 canister filter a few days ago I'm really amazed at how crystal clear the water is my discus love it so do my firemouths and my black ghost knife fish :)

When I'm looking for a canister, what are things I need to look for besides the tank size it supports? I guess what I'm asking is are there things that you would want it to do that yours does not or are they all basically the same? I've also seen people talk about the Eheim canister filters. Are those good? Basically, I'm looking for something that is good quality for the money and built to last without a price tag that puts me on the street living in a cardboard box. I just care about the quality of the product.

To me the things to look for are the flow rate (gallons per hour, more the better), how many media baskets, how to prime it.

I would look on Craigslist if you want a good one affordable. You can get one of the better brands for the price of a no frills brand. For instance, I've gotten a cascade 1000 for $30 and a fluval fx5 for $100.

I run a aquatop 500 on my 90 gal mbuna tank and LOVE it. My water is so polished and crystal clear! I got mine off amazon. This canister holds a ton of media and the 400 & 500 come with a built in UV light. Its not a fx5 but it left me with money in my pockets and it does the job.(y)

You don't need something the size of a FX5 your tank will be a whirlwind. I would recommend either a Fluval or a Ehiem those 2 are 2 of the best you can get. Just pick the one that best fits the flow you want. Both have several models to choose from. You won't be disappointed with either choice.

My fluval 305 works great in my 37 gallon tank. For media I use the ceramic rings in 2 trays and one tray stuffed with PolyFil (available at most craft stores as pillow stuffing) as a final polisher. It keeps my water crystal clear.

So I've done some research and all of the suggestions here are great (decisions decisions!!)! If I'm thinking of turning my tank into a reef tank, will it matter as to which canister I want to get or is this a dumb question? Also, once I get the canister, should I leave my current filtration system on for a few weeks to break in the canister so I don't have another cycle? I ask a lot of questions. I just don't want to kill anything in my tank.

as far as using it later on a reef I don't know which would be better. I always have used sumps for my reef tanks not canisters. For the second question, yes run them both. I would even take the water inside your currant filter and pour it into the canister before you set it all up. Give the filter pads a good squeeze into the canister as well. This will "seed" the canister and get the beneficial bacteria growing faster.

nikki_kaiser said:
So I've done some research and all of the suggestions here are great (decisions decisions!!)! If I'm thinking of turning my tank into a reef tank, will it matter as to which canister I want to get or is this a dumb question? Also, once I get the canister, should I leave my current filtration system on for a few weeks to break in the canister so I don't have another cycle? I ask a lot of questions. I just don't want to kill anything in my tank.

When I was setting up my fluval 406 I took the old media and sponges from my eheim internal box filter and added them to the first box in the canister and my tank is doing great lost no fish and even on the same day added two discus :)

Animal fanatic said:
When I was setting up my fluval 406 I took the old media and sponges from my eheim internal box filter and added them to the first box in the canister and my tank is doing great lost no fish and even on the same day added two discus :)

Hmmm not sure if you should use the old media with a reef tank , sorry I'm not an expert on salt water tanks ;)

Would a sump be better? I don't want to drill my tank and I've read up on sumps etc. I can build a sump however I was concerned about overflow during electricity loss if I weren't home.

I have a Nexx canister and it works great. You can get one main and then add a second extension for up to 125 gal. Its easy to use, easy to change media and it self primes! I love the ease of it! And affordable. About $150 for the main filter and the extension.

Back
Top Bottom