Canister to drilled tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tpalmer

Aquarium Advice Regular
Is there a way to hook up a canister filter to a side-drilled tank?
I have a 75 gal with a small internal overflow and four hole drilled (2 inside the overflow and 2 outside the overflow into the main part of the tank). I want to hook up my two fluval 404s to the tank if possible. Any ideas?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

It is possible. you just have to have the correct fittings and hose size to connect to the overflow standpipes.

So going from the ribbed fluval hoses to a bulkhead is possible? That was the step I could t wrap my head around

I would swap out the ribbed hoses with appropriate sized vinyl hoses. Assuming the holes in the tank wall have threaded bulkhead fittings on them (if not, add them), you could connect the new hoses to connectors that have a barb on one end and a male thread on the other (that will screw into the bulkhead fitting).

I would swap out the ribbed hoses with appropriate sized vinyl hoses. Assuming the holes in the tank wall have threaded bulkhead fittings on them (if not, add them), you could connect the new hoses to connectors that have a barb on one end and a male thread on the other (that will screw into the bulkhead fitting).

Exactly!

It can be done. You just need to go to the plumbing section of a hardware store and look through the different fittings. It might take a couple of different fittings to transition from the standpipe/bulkhead to the canister.

Take some pics for me of the bulkheads in the tank and your canister fittings. I might be able to point you in the right direction. I'm come up with some pretty crazy solutions over the years. Anything is possible!

that is how my Magnum 350 is connected to my tank, drain hole in rear wall, threaded bulkhead fitting, 90 degree MPF>5/8" barb adapter, done.

Ok so replace the ribbed tuning with vinyl tubbing and then set it up through that. I got it now. I didn't think the fluval would connect to vinyl but I'll look into that. Thanks everyone!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom