Canister vs HOB

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lectraplayer

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I'm thinking about a canister for my 29g planted tank (partly from sand), but am unsure if I want to make the jump. I'm a stickler for keeping the filter clean, and I clean my HOB every week when I change the water (and I also use water that is slightly muddy). While I'm not afraid of maintinence, how involved and messy is it? Also, what model of either do I want? I do like the Tetra Biobags as they are easy to clean. I may go with two smaller filters when I replace my (quickly) wearing Top Fin Power Filter 75 (again, sand). I want to keep one running when I have the other down for cleaning (and also to Bogardt if I need to start a hospital tank). Is a HOB better for me or should I make the jump to a can? Which one(s) should I put in?

I definitely think if you have the funds to go for a canister. The sand shouldnt be much of a problem as long as it doesnt stir up too much. Youll just set the intake bar a bit higher. Maintenance isnt that bad, but since theres more media it takes a bit more time, but nothing excrutiating. What you put in your filter is up to you. I usually go with ceramic ring(porous), polishing pads, coarse pads, bioballs(usually for sumps but i decided to stock it). In your case, if you want two filters, you can easily get two HW-602B Mini made by sunsun with 106gph and they are only 30bucks. I vouch for the robustness and durability aswell as silence of these filters.

55 Gallon- Empty
125 Gallon- CKF and Tiger Oscar
220 Gallon- To come...

You don't have anything to worry about with sand when you have a canister - you can put the intake right near the sand. The reason HOBs are fouled by sand is the location of the motor. A canisters motor is on the top of the filter and the water that passes through is filtered. An HOBs motor is at the bottom, where sand collects, and the water that passes through is unfiltered so anything can get in there.

I just picked up a 603 to try it out. If it's as good as the rest of the sunsuns I have, I'll be getting a few more. However, what I said earlier may or may not be true of the 600 series because of the placement of the motor. And too, there are two models the 602 and 603. The only difference is the size of the filter, with the 3 being a bit larger.

Does SunSun put their motor somewhere besides where the rest of the canisters do or something?

The motor on the 600 series (mini canisters) is at the bottom of the filter rather than the top. And it's external. I'm anxious to see how it handles the sand.

The regular filters have their motors in the filter head like just about every other canister.

Sounds like the SunSun 600 series may put me right back where I am now with my HOBs.

Yes that's the one. The motor is in the top where they usually are. The "pro kit" comes with media, and for an extra $5 or so, I think it's worth it even though you may need to buy additional media to fill the filter. The white pads are a floss material. The blue is a sponge. Amazon sells 3 packs of sponges for like $7 - I would get them to replace the white pads as your primary mechanical filtration.

I guess any media will go won't they? As long as it's the right consistency (floss, sponge, gravel, etc.)

One of the great things about canisters is that you can decide for yourself what goes in it. And you can change it at will, so what you do today may not be how it is later.

Has anyone considered using a sponge filter on a HOB intake which should eliminate sand getting into the impeller.

I know the socks I've tried sure clog in a hurry. ...then again, the model HOB I have has a small intake.

Sent from my Android with one arm in the tank.

Putting a sock over an intake will lower suction and quickly clog up. You need to use a coarse sponge so it doesn't impede flow. Regardless, both types of filter will work. However, a filter such as the AquaClear doesn't even need to be turned off to clean, and the sponge inserts last for many years.

I hear that the prefilter is good for the beneficial bacteria, but as mentioned, the last one I used clogged overnight.

Sent from my Android with one arm in the tank.

It's only good for beneficial bacteria if you don't have enough in your filter. Canister filters hold a ton of media so adding a prefilter sponge won't make any difference with regards to the beneficial bacteria.

I have a Marineland HOT Magnum filter as supplemental filtration in my 56g tank. I also run a canister. I am actually really happy with it. I have had it for a few years and it has been great. It's kind of like a middle ground between a canister and a hob power filter. it has a center section with plenty of room for carbon or biomedia. It is completely silent and would put out the perfect amount of flow for a 29. Here is a link. Marineland H.O.T. Magnum Canister Filter

Back
Top Bottom