Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-13-2003, 11:35 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Send a message via ICQ to MicroFish Send a message via AIM to MicroFish
Canister vs Power Filters

What do you all suggest should be the "range" of tank sizes for these types of filters? In other words, would you say one should use a HOB filter for 5-29gal and a canister filter for anything more than that..? Or.....? We currently have a 20g but will be setting up the 50g soon and want to know the pros and cons of canister vs. power filters. I used to have a 44 hex tank w/ a HOB power filter and it was fine.... but that was a few years ago and I have recently been told that a canister filter would have been even better. What are your thoughts?

Sheila

Old 07-13-2003, 11:42 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Depends on the fish load you want to have. Some people like to use both on larger tanks. Another option on a larger tank is to use 2 HOB's. That gives good circulation and in case 1 breaks down it isn't going to kill all of your fish if you can't get another one right away.

Old 07-13-2003, 11:59 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

Send a message via ICQ to MicroFish Send a message via AIM to MicroFish
What are the main differences in how these filters function?

Sheila
Old 07-14-2003, 02:55 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via MSN to wabyrd
Quote:
Another option on a larger tank is to use 2 HOB's.
That's my setup. I have 2 Emperor 280s on my 55 (on APC battery backup...there's a hurricane a comin') and it works GREAT! I have a pretty heavy fish load and it keeps the water sparkling. I've pondered adding a cannister, but I can't see any reason to. My Ammonia and nitrItes are consistently zero, my water is crystal clear, so what advantage is there in adding another cannister filter?
wabyrd is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
canister, filter, filters

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com