Canister with Biowheel

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Meredith

Aquarium Advice Addict
I remember seeing a canister filter that had the option of a biowheel but I don't remember which it was, and is that a good idea?

I think you saw a Magnum 350. I currently have a Magnum 350 but don't run the bio-wheel as of yet. I have always heard good things about them though.
My guess is that it surely wouldn't hurt matters to have it.

It is the HOT Magnum filter that has the bio-wheel attachment. Its the one that hangs on the back and pumps 250gph.

Biowheels (IMO) are great portable biomedia, but any established tank is going to have plenty of biobugs all over it and the filter, so if you have a healthy adequately filtered tank with a canister you will not see any change if you add a biowheel.

If you have other tanks and you experience a mini-cycle, or you are trying to jump-start a new tank cycle you can put the biowheel on the other tank, or even just toss the wheel itself into the water to float around, but otherwise I don't see a need for them. I have some tanks with them and some without, and there is no difference in terms of water quality.

The Bio Wheels available are the Pro 30 (one wheel) and the Pro 60 (two wheels). You can add them to any canister or run them with a powerhead. I like Bio Wheels in FW because they give you a good biofilter that isn't disturbed no matter what you do to the filter or tank...as long as they don't dry out. You can remove the filter,clean it , trash all the media and replace it with new and you'll never see a trace of ammonia/nitrite buildup. I'm not saying they are necessary of course, just that they have worked for me for years without the slightest problem.

not the magnum hot one that i am using .... the noise is reduced because it is like a slide that ends about 1" beneath the surface of my water line in the tank.

Back
Top Bottom