Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-07-2005, 06:48 PM   #31
AA Team Emeritus

All right...the results are in:

Fluval 404 Canister - MSGPH (Manufacturer's Suggested GPH) = 340 per hour

Actual results:

Based on head height of 49" and full media baskets = 278GPH.

Process: Filled 2.5 cup measuring cup for one minute.

This is very close to the manufacturers suggested rate. I assume that without the additional floss, the results would be even better.

Old 05-07-2005, 07:11 PM   #32
Aquarium Advice Addict

Not bad. That is actually better than what Fluval states. The pump is rated for 340 GPH, but Fluval states the filter flow 225 GPH. I wonder if the the pump being rated at 340, and filter flow at 225 is why people think that there is bypass in the filter.

Is it bypass, or is it just that flow goes down when the baskets are in actual use?

Old 05-07-2005, 07:44 PM   #33

Tom, do you really have two 404s running in your 55 gallon tank or am I reading that wrong?
Old 05-07-2005, 11:39 PM   #34
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Starks
Tom, do you really have two 404s running in your 55 gallon tank or am I reading that wrong?
yep. I have about 3ft extra tubing on them, put them in the utility room behind the tank rather than under the tank. On the fancy goldfish tank I have only one with a spray bar mounted vertically to reduce the currents.

I like them, especially for the $89 price I got them for.
Old 05-08-2005, 12:38 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomK2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Starks
yep. I have about 3ft extra tubing on them, put them in the utility room behind the tank rather than under the tank. On the fancy goldfish tank I have only one with a spray bar mounted vertically to reduce the currents.

I like them, especially for the $89 price I got them for.
Did you find that one was just not getting the job done for you or do you just like to overfilter? I agree with you on the Fluvals, they are great filters, but I have one 304 on my 55g and I feel like its filtered perfectly.
Old 05-08-2005, 02:18 AM   #36
Aquarium Advice Addict

In a previous incarnation, my tank had a fluval and a magnum. It didn't get regular, nice water changes, and having two filters eased my guilt for irregular maintenance. Since then, I just always have run two filters on it. I like the idea of backup if one fails, and I can service one and leave the other undisturbed. I like having current from both ends of a 4 foot tank. In a nutshell, I am just an over-filterer. The same size tank with goldfish and one fluval has exactly the same water paremeters and appearance. One Fluval 404 is enough for a 55.

If your water seems adequately mechanically filtered, and there is no ammonia or nitrite, and the filter doesn't seem to clog up to frequently, then you are doing fine with a 304. After all, biologic filtrations is the number one concern, and water clarity is second. Gallons Per Hour is meaningless if the goals are being met. I went with two 404's instead of 304's because the price difference wasn't all that great.

Tags
canister

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com