Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-11-2011, 06:14 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Send a message via AIM to ssieber
cannister filter for sand tank......

hello everyone,
I am considering setting up my 90 gal tank with a sand bottom. I have been doing some research and it seems that most advise to use a filter 2 or 3 times larger than required. This is where my question comes in. WHen saying larger is that implying that I would need a filter that is intended for a 300 gal tank? Or is it that I would need a filter that moves 3 times the water in G.P.H? (for example my 90 x 3 = a minimum of 270 G.P.H). Any help would be greatly appreciated,and any recomendations for what brand and model of filter would also be welcomed. THanks in advance,
Scott

Old 03-11-2011, 06:21 PM   #2
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

Welcome to AA

I'd get a filter that says it will filter a tank around 150g or so. Or you could get two filters that say they filter 100g each.

Fluval makes a good canister, as does Rena. I'd go with two fluval 305's, a 305 and 405, a Rena xp2 and xp3, or a rena xp4... or you could go with the bad boy, the fluval fx5.

"What, exactly, is the internet? Basically it is a global network exchanging digitized data in such a way that any computer, anywhere, that is equipped with a device called a 'modem', can make a noise like a duck choking on a kazoo." - Dave Barry
mfdrookie516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 06:24 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Agreed
Old 03-11-2011, 08:44 PM   #4

Go with the Fluval FX5 and you will never regret it.
Old 03-11-2011, 09:43 PM   #5
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

Welcome aboard. Moving this to the General Hardware and equipment discussion forum. You`ll get more answers there.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 09:56 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

I agree with mfdrookie516.
I think a Hagen Fluval 405 would be good. I have one in my 55 along with 2 Marineland 280's. It is easy to maintain and also there is a good choices of media that you can put in there.
FX5 may be a little big but will work. It's rated for 400 gallon tanks. I have two FX5 in my 200 gallon tank.
Old 03-12-2011, 12:54 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

You talkin about me I Aint no rookie.... Yea to salt I kinda am I know stuff though don't doubt me
Old 03-12-2011, 10:05 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveFishman View Post
You talkin about me I Aint no rookie.... Yea to salt I kinda am I know stuff though don't doubt me
No, he was referring to the post by mfdrookie516

Just to add, you will love a sand bottom! They look so much more natural. I would recommend you go with Pool Filter Sand. The pieces are a bit larger than play sand (but play sand would work as well, that is what I used).

+1 for the filters. I love the canister filters. I had great luck with my Fluval 405 on a 55g tank.
Old 03-12-2011, 11:05 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

Oh I kinda am a rookie i just joined AA yesterday and set up my first salt 4 months ago..... Hehe
Old 03-15-2011, 10:16 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Can you get Black pool sand or a little larger grain not gravel? I beleive black would really show off your fish better. Any thought on this?

Tags
cannister, filter, sand, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com