cannister filter for sand tank......

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ssieber

Aquarium Advice Newbie
hello everyone,
I am considering setting up my 90 gal tank with a sand bottom. I have been doing some research and it seems that most advise to use a filter 2 or 3 times larger than required. This is where my question comes in. WHen saying larger is that implying that I would need a filter that is intended for a 300 gal tank? Or is it that I would need a filter that moves 3 times the water in G.P.H? (for example my 90 x 3 = a minimum of 270 G.P.H). Any help would be greatly appreciated,and any recomendations for what brand and model of filter would also be welcomed. THanks in advance,
Scott

Welcome to AA :)

I'd get a filter that says it will filter a tank around 150g or so. Or you could get two filters that say they filter 100g each.

Fluval makes a good canister, as does Rena. I'd go with two fluval 305's, a 305 and 405, a Rena xp2 and xp3, or a rena xp4... or you could go with the bad boy, the fluval fx5.

Welcome aboard. Moving this to the General Hardware and equipment discussion forum. You`ll get more answers there.

I agree with mfdrookie516.
I think a Hagen Fluval 405 would be good. I have one in my 55 along with 2 Marineland 280's. It is easy to maintain and also there is a good choices of media that you can put in there.
FX5 may be a little big but will work. It's rated for 400 gallon tanks. I have two FX5 in my 200 gallon tank.

You talkin about me I Aint no rookie.... Yea to salt I kinda am I know stuff though don't doubt me

You talkin about me I Aint no rookie.... Yea to salt I kinda am I know stuff though don't doubt me

No, he was referring to the post by mfdrookie516 :)

Just to add, you will love a sand bottom! They look so much more natural. I would recommend you go with Pool Filter Sand. The pieces are a bit larger than play sand (but play sand would work as well, that is what I used).

+1 for the filters. I love the canister filters. I had great luck with my Fluval 405 on a 55g tank.

Oh I kinda am a rookie i just joined AA yesterday and set up my first salt 4 months ago..... Hehe

Can you get Black pool sand or a little larger grain not gravel? I beleive black would really show off your fish better. Any thought on this?

I only use and recommend Estes' Ultra Reef, which does come in black.

Back
Top Bottom